Special Brass nipple

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I think that is one of the options... another one has to do with bringing the fresh air into the cold air exchange of the furnace, and still another is basically what you are saying but having some sort of sensor wired to the vent like you suggested, but having a pressure sensor of sorts so that it will pull fresh air only when there is a need versus making an egg for three minutes on the range and having the kitchen flooded with cold air!

Does the hood have a variable speed fan ? That way you can run its speed according to the need

In most commercial kitchens I’ve worked in they leave the back o door open with a screen door to keep bugs out.

Does the hood have a variable speed fan ? That way you can run its speed according to the need

In most commercial kitchens I’ve worked in they leave the back o door open with a screen door to keep bugs out.
Yes, it is variable, I have gone through many of the scenarios and I really think I have to run it and try to get something to backdraft in order to determine how likely it is that I would ever be in that scenario, in order to be accurate with that I think I will put the makeup air system on hold until we actually live there. When we can do real world cooking scenarios. My HVAC guy has a vested interest in installing a makeup air system, so his opinion can only be taken with that in mind. As I understand it, a lot of it would have to do with the volume of air already in the room. If you put a range this size in a 5x5 room, you can imagine closing the door and you would feel the suction when you went in. However it is in a fairly open 3,000 square foot house. So, does it start negative pressure in 20 minutes? 50 minutes?

Remains to be seen. Is 10 minutes at 900 cfm equal to 30 minutes at 300 cfm. I can't answer that, too many other variables. We do have the range hood at right about 30 inches from the range top. My wide is adamant she can't see us using 900 ever. Do I have to build it to do what the worst case scenario is, like charbroiling a fatty roast for two hours, I would likely do that outside.

I can't imagine a scenario where we would be running the hood on 900 cfm for 50 minutes. I will do whatever we do with our safety in mind, but I also want a bunch of thoughts and opinions. Your statement on the commercial kitchens is a valid and good one. Now imagine the patron's tables were in the kitchen, that may cause some discomfort. That's kinda what we have. Soooo many people install these vent hoods with zero thought on this issue, thankfully I study things to death to make sure I don't wake up dead one day!

Last edited:
I am removing this bad Kohler designed pot filler. I would urge anyone interested in a pot filler to look at other brands and connection methods before you waste your time like I did.

It looked good on your wall, what was wrong with it?
On a different thread about Pot Fillers where people with much more experience than me weighed in, a discussion got me thinking about the bad design, I checked the reviews, which I hadn't before. Of the 11 reviews, 2 or 3 mentioned catastrophic leak damage to their kitchens. As I was installing it, it seemed fishy to me, but I didn't trust my gut. As I looked further into it and considered the mechanism by which the pot filler is attached to a water source, I (and others, including some with flooded kitchens) decided the design was bad and decided the possibility of leakage was not worth the benefits. It has to do with a set screw and O rings being the way it is secured versus a true threaded connection, which would be much preferred in my opinion.

If the valve was before that set screw/o ring contraption, I'd use that pot filler, no problem.

If the valve was before that set screw/o ring contraption, I'd use that pot filler, no problem.
As my very recently deceased Dad used to say, "if Ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas!"

I have a shut off valve in the basement exclusive to this line. I can leave it on and use it to impress guests, and then run downstairs and shut the valve off! :)

I agree with you though!

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-C...5t3vUOMXhllJrHJ2vV4iRZ-fZKSG3kGRoCROsQAvD_BwE
two of these and a piece of type l hard copper of length to suit.

@Twowaxhack is correct.......I use these, they are "male adapters of sorts, just a little slimmer when the tile guy is a bit to close to the nipple coming out of the wall, which is always.

The full slip are nice but I use regular mip adapters when I can. Gives me something for a socket to grab onto. You can make a shorter nipple with the full slip.

To deal with the tile man I use a short piece of 1” pex slipped over my 1/2” brass nipple I stubbed out.

This way I get a perfect 1-1/8” hole when I remove it to finish.

IMG_1353.jpeg
If anyone cares to know why Kohler's design sucks...This is the basic design, there is a 1/2 piece of machined metal that gets screwed into the wall and sits against the wall behind this adaptor and a set screw on the bottom of the pot filler tightens it to the metal plate. I just grabbed one of my experimental nipples to show how it threads in. I didn't picture the 1/2 thick backing piece but you can see it in my original picture. (Experimental Nipples would be a great band name LOL)

The full slip are nice but I use regular mip adapters when I can. Gives me something for a socket to grab onto. You can make a shorter nipple with the full slip.

To deal with the tile man I use a short piece of 1” pex slipped over my 1/2” brass nipple I stubbed out.

This way I get a perfect 1-1/8” hole when I remove it to finish.
that a good idea

View attachment 43372
If anyone cares to know why Kohler's design sucks...This is the basic design, there is a 1/2 piece of machined metal that gets screwed into the wall and sits against the wall behind this adaptor and a set screw on the bottom of the pot filler tightens it to the metal plate. I just grabbed one of my experimental nipples to show how it threads in. I didn't picture the 1/2 thick backing piece but you can see it in my original picture. (Experimental Nipples would be a great band name LOL)
that is a bad design, full continuous line pressure on a set screw=nice

And Kohler is interested in talking again after I made a review...

They don't know their own offerings... they don't all mount the same way.

Here is part of our email exchange today...

Thank you for your reply. Reviewing all of the wall mounted pot fillers we offer they install the same way, with the wall flange and set screw. I am sorry we do not offer a threaded version. If the installation is followed closely, the faucet should have the proper support and should not fail. Often times, the claims that are reporting failure or leaking are due to improper installation. The copper NPT supply pipe must extend no more than 1/2" from the finished wall and protrude perpendicular to the finished wall. If you may supply your invoice / receipt I would be happy to review which options are available for return or a refund. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please let me know.

View attachment 43372
I wonder if the set screw is made in China.

And Kohler is interested in talking again after I made a review...

They don't know their own offerings... they don't all mount the same way.

Here is part of our email exchange today...

Thank you for your reply. Reviewing all of the wall mounted pot fillers we offer they install the same way, with the wall flange and set screw. I am sorry we do not offer a threaded version. If the installation is followed closely, the faucet should have the proper support and should not fail. Often times, the claims that are reporting failure or leaking are due to improper installation. The copper NPT supply pipe must extend no more than 1/2" from the finished wall and protrude perpendicular to the finished wall. If you may supply your invoice / receipt I would be happy to review which options are available for return or a refund. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please let me know.

In my experience Kohler has the worst customer service in the industry.

Back