Smell of sewage from bathroom sink pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonameface13

Reaction score
Hi, I smell a strong odor coming from the pipe behind my half-bath pedestal sink. I have no idea what it could be. I used liquid plumber... I used baking soda and vinegar mix... the smell is more noticeable the more humid it is outside, by the way.

Attachments

• IMG_4178.jpg
    IMG_4178.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4180.jpg
    IMG_4180.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4181 (1).jpg
    IMG_4181 (1).jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 0
Pour some bleach down the overflow hole in the lavatory. Do that everyday for about 3 days.

You could remove the stopper and inspect the piping from the outlet of the lavatory to the ptrap. Look in there with a flashlight.

Clean that section of pipe up. How does it drain ?

Pour some bleach down the overflow hole in the lavatory. Do that everyday for about 3 days.

You could remove the stopper and inspect the piping from the outlet of the lavatory to the ptrap. Look in there with a flashlight.

Clean that section of pipe up. How does it drain ?

Thank you! I removed the stopper and looked down- pls see pic. Looks clear I think.

To be sure, I haven't had any drainage issues. When I turn on faucet, waters seems to go down fine and quickly.

The smell is definitely coming from the area where the piping meets the wall (second pic).

Should I continue with starting the bleach suggestion down the overflow hole? Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 0
Vinegar, baking soda, liquid plumber, bleach...?

Just heed caution and if/when a plumber is needed, please list everything you've thrown down that sink and let that plumber know....for his safety.

The smell may be coming out of the wall or at the wall connection. Sometimes a pipe will leak sewer gas but not water.

Worse case scenario is you have a drain leak in the wall or an open pipe.

You could carefully slide that chrome escutcheon away from the wall and take a look. Maybe take a pic for me.

The chrome brass ptrap can be thin so disturbing that can definitely go south quick and it’ll have to be replaced. That’s usually not a real easy job with a pedestal lavatory for most. Just wanted you to be aware of possibilities.

Back