Sink Faucet Leaking - Cartridge wont turn

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bean

Reaction score
I thought this would be a standard job, so I looked at some YouTube videos. But unlike the video tutorials, I cant seem to remove the cartridge. See pic.

In my sink, the silver metal piece is round. The little hexagonal protruding thing is part of the round piece and is barely 2-3 mm. So the adjustable wrench cannot grip it.

The white piece is plastic and cannot be gripped properly either.

So what needs to be loosened and how?

The chrome nut comes off counter clockwise. Be careful and don’t squeeze it as you’re turning, it’s thin.

A socket might help you.....

Once the chrome nut is off the cartridge should just lift straight out.

I was able to apply pressure and turn this. It turned out that the nut was damaged and would not tighten back. I wasnt able to figure out if the cartridge was damaged.

But I decided to replace the whole faucet anyways, and was able to do it myself. So all in all, it went well. Saved me a plumber visit which would have been expensive.

Thank you very much.

Saved me a plumber visit which would have been expensive.

My regular plumber is backed up with work for over a month. You made the right decision. Given the weird situation with Covid-19 delays and snafus, I would just buy a second faucet to back up the new one you just bought. Everything becomes obsolete so quickly, a homeowner has to stockpile everything related to plumbing. Just-in-time inventory is a myth.

Back