Single to double vanity advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zswickliffe

Reaction score
Hey all, unfortunately I've had some bad luck with a contractor recently and found out he didn't have an actual plumber do the plumbing work which makes me question everything (naturally).

My main question/concern is around whether the drain/vent configuration in this photo is correct. I'm a little worried about the fact that the left sink drain runs past the right sink drain. I don't know a lot about plumbing and I was worried about siphoning essentially. Photo here:

I'm also curious if it's acceptable to have valves with two outlets on the hot and cold water supply with long flex hoses + extensions to reach the left sink? I expected them to plumb copper to the left sink and to have separate shutoffs but other than an increase in failure points on the extensions are there any issues with this?

Thanks so much in advance!

Your concern is spot on. The wall is open, don't let him "cheap out" on your water lines. Each sink should have a dedicated hot/cold shut offs.

Your concern is spot on. The wall is open, don't let him "cheap out" on your water lines. Each sink should have a dedicated hot/cold shut offs.
Just to clarify, my concern about the drain?

Unfortunately the wall is no longer open. I just happened to find a photo taken from before things were closed up and the vanity was placed.

Water lines should’ve been extended to the new lavatory with its own stop valves for hot and cold.

Maybe I'm showing my "iggerence" here, but I don't see anything wrong with your drain setup.

Drain looks ok. I could complain about the choice of fernco. Should’ve been a shield coupling, the one used only has two hose clamps. We use to use them…..it’ll be ok on the vertical as shown, probably doesn’t meet your plumbing code.

Drain looks ok. I could complain about the choice of fernco. Should’ve been a shield coupling, the one used only has two hose clamps. We use to use them…..it’ll be ok on the vertical as shown, probably doesn’t meet your plumbing code.
Thanks so much. As long as I don't have a major functional issue that's a significant relief.

Like I said, I don't know enough to say it's good so I wanted a few other opinions.

Water lines should’ve been extended to the new lavatory with its own stop valves for hot and cold.
Where would I find something in writing that shows this is the correct way? Is it code or is it just "best practice"?

His response was essentially "I don't see why that's an issue" so I'd like to be able to point to something concrete if possible.

Where would I find something in writing that shows this is the correct way? Is it code or is it just "best practice"?

His response was essentially "I don't see why that's an issue" so I'd like to be able to point to something concrete if possible.
Call your local plumbing code inspector and send him your pics.

Oh Wow! I almost missed the Fernco on there! TwoWax has a good eye. Like TwoWax said, it should be a shielded Fernco when it's buried in the wall but not so much because of leaking but because - in the wall, rodents can chew the rubber unless it is shielded.

As far as the valves, it would be better to have valves on each fixture but because the wall has been sealed up, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you want to rip a piece of the wall out, and if your vanity has a back on it, you'll have to deal with that too. Things like your bathtub don't have any shut-off valves on it.

I just wonder why a plumber wouldn't put valves on each sink.

Back