Shower replacement. Desperate please help me!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clueless Plumber

Reaction score
Hi, so I’m desperate for help. The hot water for my bath faucet gave out, couldn’t turn it off. Bought a replacement set and am trying to replace it. I’m already struggling with the fact I cannot turn off my water because my shut off valve in my basement is also in need of replacement and doesn’t stop water flow, only slows it. I’ve gotten into the wall to access the old pipes which was a pain on its own. I’m cold a wet and on day two of attempting this. I’ve never done this before and can’t afford a professional. Currently I can’t get the pipe the tub faucet slides onto off to begin taking it apart. Wrenches, vinegar and water mixture to break up any corrosion etc. nothing is working. I’m very overwhelmed and out of my depth. ANY help or advice would be so helpful. I’m attaching pictures of the old fixture and the new set I’m trying to install

Attachments

• EE6F3C63-CCCE-4A40-AF58-CA55DA7E20A0.jpeg
    EE6F3C63-CCCE-4A40-AF58-CA55DA7E20A0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • EB3A09D4-57DF-4E56-84A5-25527FB18ED3.jpeg
    EB3A09D4-57DF-4E56-84A5-25527FB18ED3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • A7D15A08-6A18-40EA-8900-CCDCABDC4150.jpeg
    A7D15A08-6A18-40EA-8900-CCDCABDC4150.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 31094388-1F09-4893-A3F2-E525090D3FBB.jpeg
    31094388-1F09-4893-A3F2-E525090D3FBB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 48D2CDF1-5E94-49D4-9A01-FE27CFB008A3.jpeg
    48D2CDF1-5E94-49D4-9A01-FE27CFB008A3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Plead on Nextdoor or other local social network for help.
You are out of your depth.

Hello Clueless Plumber,
If you want to accomplish this yourself, and get the good feeling of learning something new and accomplishing something, you may wish to try one of these:

If You Don't Feel Comfortable Soldering Copper Tubing:
Try compression fittings or a brand of push-to-connect. One brand of push-to-connect is Shark Bite. Compression is a ferrule slid on the copper tubing and a nut to hold it to a fitting.
I've used compression, but never push-to-connect, so ask a plumber here if they work.

If You Can Solder Copper Tubing:
White bread, no crust, will hold a small amount of flow from a leaking upstream valve long enough to solder a good valve on. When done, remove an aerator & flush out the bread.
Or- You can get a Jet Sweat to do the same thing, but with long holding power. Look up jetswet.com (note the goofy spelling of sweat).

Hope This Helps!
Paul

Seems you have yourself in a pickle. I would not attempt any repair work until you can shut down your water completely. There must be an additional shut off near the curb, that is controlled by the city/county? If in fact you have a way to shut off the water, then, you must repair the basement valve first, so you can get the curb valve turned back on. If this is over your head, you'll have to bite the bullet and beg, borrow or barter a way to get a professional in there to make sure it is done right.

When you say the water is "slowed", does that mean down to a very slow trickle, or is it running continuously in a pencil sized stream from a faucet?

As havasu said, that valve needs to be repaired first before you proceed with any changeouts. If you can access your water meter, there could be a valve there. If not, there will be one at the curb that the water company may have to access.

With your issues and level of experience, I would highly suggest you get the water supply to the house turned before you proceed.

But here are some other possible approaches, some mentioned above.

I'm assuming the current shutoff valve is a multiturn valve. It likely has calcium deposits that is causing it to leak. You could try to open and close it multiple time, and you might get it to close better. If the "slowed" flow if just a trickle, and if your valve is near a floor drain like in a basement, you possibly could cut the line on the house side of that valve letting the water flow to the drain and install a compression quarter turn valve like:

1672077193498.png
You would first want to make sure this valve will fit in the space you have, make sure the pipe if nice and clean and ready to install the nut and ferrule, and be ready to deal with the "trickle" of water.

One issue with this approach is that you would still have the old valve in the line, and it could start leaking from the packing that possibly could not be stopped.

Another HUGE issue with this approach is that once you cut the water line, the only control you have on water flow into your house is that leaking valve.

The stuck pipe joints and replacement of the fixtures just need more strength to unscrew or bigger wrenches. Vinegar will not help to loosen pipe joints, and penetrating oil probably won't either.

You said it best, "I’m very overwhelmed and out of my depth."

Time to call for help.

Back