Shower faucet seat with slit as if for alignment.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totalnoob

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the addition. Question: I changed the rubber washer of an old shower faucet and there's still a slow drip leak. I checked the seats and cleaned them and noticed that there's a slit in the hot side seat. It looked too neat to be a crack, and also the slit is on the outside of the seat (where the seat rests) so it looks like it's an alignment slit. So that's the question, am I missing a piece on this old hot shower faucet seat? I am this because the hot side goes in further than the right side, where there's no slit. I'm wondering if that slit makes any sense and what kind of piece I'm missing. I'm think maybe a hard plastic with a slit so it rests on the seat? Anyone seen this? By the way it's a "Galt or Galt master" faucet from the 60s. Thanks!

There are no alignment slits.

My advice is to replace the seats with new seats if they’re available. Use a quality washer.

You can get seat wrenches at any supply house I have a set of 3 with a ratchet style
Wrench with different sizes on each end
Thank you, yes, I saw those in the Canadian version of that famous site named after the Brazilian rainforest/River :) but I also saw one that looks like long Allen key, which is what I got, should I exchange it? What are your thoughts on that one? I only got the elongated Allen key because it's the one offering fast shipping, but it can wait if the other one is much better. (I don't expect any use after this, but one never knows.)

Thank you, yes, I saw those in the Canadian version of that famous site named after the Brazilian rainforest/River :) but I also saw one that looks like long Allen key, which is what I got, should I exchange it? What are your thoughts on that one? I only got the elongated Allen key because it's the one offering fast shipping, but it can wait if the other one is much better. (I don't expect any use after this, but one never knows.)
It's personal preference, if the one you can get right away works get that one , I use the 3 straight ones and the ratchet wrench because they fit in my tool bag and I use them often

It's personal preference, if the one you can get right away works get that one , I use the 3 straight ones and the ratchet wrench because they fit in my tool bag and I use them often
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back