Shower Diverter Keeps breaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you just have a bad tub spout. Your probably going to have to put another slip fit tub spout on if you have
copper coming out the wall. I agree with others that I wouldn't spend $800.00 because of this problem. If you think the
pressure is so hard that you can't pull the diverter up then you got more of a problem than just a tub spout.

just fyi, my bathtub is 40 years old, including the shower valve

We're hear with our 40 -45 years experience so if you want to replace it that is up to you.

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply, yeah, just learned that, the shower spout diverter Will work, if I first pull the diverter up, and Then turn on the water, so run the shower in reverse, don't understand; our shower pressure is 55, will review other the suggestions in this post,

I figured out. Apparently I had a shower diverter from the 1980 and 1990s. Those ones were durable/strong enough to pushed down While the Water is running.

The newer shower diverters are cheaply made, and do Not allow this method. In the new shower diverters, water must be stopped First, before the diverter can be pressed down. I went through so many, until someone mentioned. Welcome to the 2020s.

I think this point has been made many, many times on similar threads.
Newer tub spout diverters are often junky.
The seal fails if operated while under load.
Turn off the water first at the shower valve, don’t force the spout diverter down while it is under load.
There should be some way to cut and paste this recommendation for similar future postings.

Back