Shower and tub handle not straight

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you open up the valve, are the notches exactly at 3:00 and 9:00, or are they cockeyed?
I can answer that for her. Yes they are. No it’s not cockeyed.

Her handle has been ruined or was defective from Delta. I’m going with the first one.

That's exactly what we've done. Yes, there is only one way the handle slips on to the brass fitting. What is strange, is that the last trim kit handle was aligned correctly. Why would this one not be? It just doesn't make sense to me. The cartridge, however, does not fit straight into the valve. The holes in the valve are slightly angled so the cartridge has to be turned to fit in. Is that normal? Maybe the valve was installed incorrect? But that still doesn't explain why the last handle fit correctly.

That's exactly what we've done. Yes, there is only one way the handle slips on to the brass fitting. What is strange, is that the last trim kit handle was aligned correctly. Why would this one not be? It just doesn't make sense to me. The cartridge, however, does not fit straight into the valve. The holes in the valve are slightly angled so the cartridge has to be turned to fit in. Is that normal? Maybe the valve was installed incorrect? But that still doesn't explain why the last handle fit correctly.

This is my final post on this thread.

Your handle is ruined. The cartridge orientation is correct.

y’all have fun

The OP is saying the cartridge has to go in crooked.

That would explain the crooked handle.

But they are also not cooperating well with questions and answers.

The OP is saying the cartridge has to go in crooked.

That would explain the crooked handle.

But they are also not cooperating well with questions and answers.
Her stem is in the proper orientation for the off position. I just went out to my shop and got a cartridge and a rough valve. Look at the pics. 46D82D0D-BD54-4AB4-B378-95D5E5301B7A.jpeg0773BFBC-7F8E-4CCC-B0F5-9405AF9E1D2D.jpeg0B5DD627-67D0-4EBA-AADA-F99A0C8ED327.jpeg
Hot side is marked on the cartridge.

When you open up the valve, are the notches exactly at 3:00 and 9:00, or are they cockeyed?
they are cockeyed. They're at 2 and 8 instead of 3 and 9. Thanks all for your comments, appreciate the help figuring this out.

Attachments

• last pic.jpg
    last pic.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 5
they are cockeyed. They're at 2 and 8 instead of 3 and 9. Thanks all for your comments, appreciate the help figuring this out.
Take a pic from the front, please. Is that the same valve you posted a pic of earlier ? In this pic I can’t see the spout.,

Your handle is still ruined.

You only need one o ring on the valve body

You’ll have to live with it or adjust the rough valve.

Why would anyone install the valve not straight up and down is beyond my understanding. It throws all your pipes out of alignment.

Jeff Handy wins the GOLD on this one, I was definitely wrong on the valve orientation. Which is actually unfortunate for the OP.

Last edited:
The valve body might be poorly supported in the wall, not properly attached to blocking.
Or just barely attached.

And if the piping is pex, that would give no real support or resistance to twisting, unlike copper or other rigid piping.

So the valve body looks to be twisted off of plumb, which explains the goofy handle position.

And the square trim plate looks a little off, and might be fudged to hide the screwed up valve orientation.

PS off topic, but I would worry about water running behind that square trim plate, it looks difficult to get a seal on that bumpy surface, without caulking the piss out of it.

The valve body might be poorly supported in the wall, not properly attached to blocking.
Or just barely attached.

And if the piping is pex, that would give no real support or resistance to twisting, unlike copper or other rigid piping.

So the valve body looks to be twisted off of plumb, which explains the goofy handle position.

And the square trim plate looks a little off, and might be fudged to hide the screwed up valve orientation.
How do you explain the spout being straight below the valve as it should be ? Pex ? Better not use pex fir a spout drop if you have a showerhead above, which she doesn’t.

You are evading the point that the valve body obviously is twisted, which is what I proposed in post # 8.

Meanwhile, mystery solved.

The plumbers should be called back to try to remedy their goofs.

Maybe the plumbers realized they screwed up both valves, and tried to slop out the handle mounts to hide their mistakes?

You are evading the point that the valve body obviously is twisted, which is what I proposed in post # 8.
Evading the point ? Did you read post 28 of mine ? The bottom part ?

Thst still doesn’t explain why the spout is straight. I guess they used a cluster of fittings.

I don’t think a plumber did that work 🤣

Well they ruined the handle.

It wasnt obvious,that’s why she posted the last pic with the trim off. I guess I’m not use to seeing such F’d up work.

Sorry, I missed your gold medal award, maybe you were editing?
Also, I have been bouncing all around on other sites and not paying full attention here.
Thanks for the props!

Sorry, I missed your gold medal award, maybe you were editing?
Also, I have been bouncing all around on other sites and not paying full attention here.
Thanks for the props!
No I edited 30 minutes ago and you posted 16 minutes ago.,

Now you’ve hurt my feelings. 🤷‍♂️

No hurt received or given.
Glad the OP has the mystery solved.
I am more interested in doing some head scratching and some puzzle solving, and occasionally being useful on here, it is a fun game.

I’m going to start asking for better pics. These pics people post are terrible.

And if her last trim kit fit right.....why didn’t this one ? unless they replaced the rough valve ?

0C077CBA-C796-4805-AE7A-AE6397366997.jpeg

Back