Should we replace the gas line while replacing the water heater?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing about the grounding. If mine hadn't been grounded, it might not have jumped to it.
It’s where it comes out is where the damage is done,Typically. Lightning can be unpredictable.

That seems like an attorney just reaching for big, deep pockets.

How many are killed yearly by talking on a landline telephone during an electrical storm? Could this had been prevented by grounding all incoming telephones? Should we just sue Ma Bell?

A gun discharges because a kid os playing with the trigger. Do we sue the gun manufacturer?

A guy gets fat and dies. Do we sue the spoon making company?

If this home was equipped with lightning rods, would it have protected the homeowners?

This is very interesting to me, but really, where does the fault belong?

It all boils down to the Benjamins no matter how you look at it. Nobody batted much of an eyelash about any of this stuff when the only gas piping in a home was black iron. But the builders and the plumbers and the manufacturers and what have you are always trying to find a cheaper way of doing things… and then there is that law of unintended consequences that kicks in. The entire building industry is littered with stories of class action lawsuits from products designed to save money, and or labor. In the long run, they failed miserably and cost a lot of people a lot of money, and a lot of homeowners a lot of aggravation, some of them their lives. CSST is just one. Federal Pacific and Zinsco electric service panels. Aluminum wiring. Louisiana-Pacific siding. CPVC plumbing. Chinese drywall. The list goes on Do you want to know what’s a safe bet?

The old tried and true.

It’s where it comes out is where the damage is done,Typically. Lightning can be unpredictable.
In my case it was the copper supply in the fireplace chase, which I couldn't get to. Could hear and see the blowtorch through the hole in the firebrick. By the time I ran out to the propane tank to turn it off, it was already 25' up in the roof. So much for fire blocking in the chase. (Which was done during construction).That's a 18" tall I beam. Do you think a gun safe would have survived?

Attachments

• IMG_20190828_115218324.jpg
    IMG_20190828_115218324.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Did I mention to you guys that I don’t have gas in my house ? Saws pic Is the reason why and the fact that it’s not necessary.

When you live in the country and need a generator, it's pretty much a necessary evil.

That can be all outside away from the house. I’ve never cared for gas.

Did you gun safe survive ? I’m sorry that happen to you……..

Not long ago I was hired to do many projects in our clients house one of them mounting a television on a wall. It happened to be an outside wall in their kids bedroom. There was only one suitable place to put the mounting bracket, so I searched for the studs, found them and started mounting. I always pre-drill for the lag bolts. I got three of the bolts drilled, and on the fourth one, instead of going straight through, the drill bit hit something and deflected. Turns out there was a gas pipe in the wall… thank goodness it was iron! Nothing happened, of course but I can only imagine if it were copper or CSST. I shifted things over a bit to avoid the line.

As I said the old tried and true…

I am going to have my 20-year old natural gas 50 gallon water heater replaced which is working fine but it seems to be nearing its end of life. Do I need to have the 1/2" CSST gas line (which is about 8' in length and is also over 20 years old) replaced while replacing the water heater? Or, is it okay to reuse the existing CSST gas line? Also, do you recommend to have an expansion tank installed? We didn't have one previously. Thanks!
The connector to the appliance should not be reused.

There can be problems with steel gas piping in earthquake zones.

Copper and CSST crimps off when it breaks, if it breaks at all, greatly reducing flow. A steel pipe breaks at the threads and blows full force.

Plumbing companies are insured.

If you don't get those fittings on the ribs of the pipe exactly like the Mfg says they will leak. We had to ground every line ran with CSST
to the main box.

Back