Septic electrical

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From TwoWax Hack: The pump and controls are considered moveable equipment and they must be removable for service.
You are exactly correct, TwoWaxHack. That falls under the 400.7(8) rule that I mentioned above. I guess I did not explain well.
Sometimes I have had to argue this with the AHJ, but it is clear in the code.

Article 400.14 only allows cord in raceway (conduit or other) above ground, but it is an easy argument for pumps. (Trip hazard, additional protection, etc.)

Also note that if an "approved listing agency" (UL, ETL, etc.) listed the assembly (pump & cord), their equipment's design supersedes the NEC. The NEC also requires all installed equipment (every type - everywhere) to be listed. Example: Buy a Meyers pump with line cord & control wiring already installed, the AHJ has no jurisdiction to require a cord change.

Where the conflict arises is whether or not to install the pump wiring in conduit. Personally, I've never directly buried a pump cord and have always won the shovel hits cord versus shovel hits conduit argument. Simply size the conduit for the conductor fill requirements.

Your friend's company is one with whom I dealt in the past. The supply fine pumps, build excellent controls, have a great relationship with Meyers and are always a pleasure to deal with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back