rough-in inspection for soaking tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaken-n-stirred

Reaction score
What does a typical plumbing inspector want for a rough-in for a soaking tub, one which is set down into a raised tile deck?

It is not convenient for me to have built the deck and have it tiled and a tub set with the drain attached. Rough in hot and cold would not be a problem, but it seems like I really would like to be able to get the exact placement of the drain / PTrap by having the tub installed in the tiled deck and hooking up the drain. But I really would rather not have the tub on site and not have the tile work done.

Would most inspectors be ok to just have a straight run of drain to roughing where the ptrap would be and then take a second look at the hooked up drain at final (if there is a final?)

Thanks everyone.

Thanks Matt30,

I figured they would need to give you some latitude here. I want to get my plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and insulation in before I tack the tub deck and even then I think it makes sense to get the drywall in before I tile the deck and set the tub.

I guess some people set tubs and tile up to the lip of the tub, in which case it would be easy enough to build the deck, set the tub and plumb it up. But my tub will be oval and it only makes sense to tile first and then set the tub over the tile.

Back