RootX question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotopolis

Reaction score
I sent this inquiry to RootX a week ago, but because I am a homeowner and not a plumber, they will not respond. I guess I understand that it is intended for plumbers, but I am a bit miffed that there was NO response. They sell direct to consumers now, so why ignore me?

My cleanout is only a couple of feet from the basement toilet. It is recommended to put 4 pounds of RootX plus 10 gallons or so down the line to clear 100' of 4" pipe. It is 100' from my cleanout to the main. I put the 4-pounds in the cleanout, and I have old 5 gallon toilets, so I flushed the upstairs toilet first, then ran down stairs to flush the basement toilet. By the time I got there, the basement toilet was overflowing with foam. Thankfully, I have a floor drain in that bathroom since it made a bit of a mess.

They recommend only putting 2-pound containers down the toilet, rather than the 4 for a cleanout, but 2 pounds is only good for 50'.

My question is, can I flush 2 pounds down first and then send another 2 pounds afterward? I don't want to wash away the foam, but I need to push it out 100'. If that can be done, how long between applications is appropriate?

Thanks for any advice.

Could you not pour the water down the cleanout? Or just flush your basement toilet and pour the rest of the water down that toilet from a bucket?

Last year I did try pouring the water in the cleanout, but it still overflowed the basement toilet, just like this year. My thinking this time was that the upstairs toilet would create more of a "push" and force the RootX further down the pipe before foaming up.

Back