Rinnai R53e-0 Tankless - temperature consistently flucuating.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse_WVNC

Reaction score
I have an Rinnai R53e-0 that I'm assuming was the original heater when the house was built in 2007. The model number is REU-V2020W-US.

We purchased this house almost exactly 1 year ago and have had no issues up until the last 2 weeks (coincidentally or not, it coincides with shortly after the town performed a shock on the city water we're on). As of the last few weeks, primarily in the upstairs showers, the water will get very hot, warm, cool, cold, and then go back to very hot... rinse and repeat... It's not necessarily consistent with timing, but it appears to be getting more and more frequent. The shower can be running cold while the sink next to it simultaneously is running hot. Same goes for our guest bath upstairs.

I had a local plumbing company come out and inspect, and couldn't find any issues. No codes pulled, everything was clean, and it looked like it had been flushed sometime in the last 12-18 months (probably sometime early-mid last year before I bought the home). They suggested cleaning the traps on the shower heads (which I did, and were clean already), replacing the shower cartridge, or replacing the entire unit because its just old.

I could really use some help to try and point me in the right direction. Things are tight because of medical bills, and I'm very capable of making most home repairs, but I haven't dealt with a tankless before and I'm not sure where to start.

Run just hot water at your sinks and use a thermometer. Does the temp fluctuate?

If it doesn’t fluctuate with the test above it might be your shower valve cartridges

Back