Replaced shower cartridge now there is a drip.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never install trim before water is turned on, you need to check and make sure no leaks inside the wall before installing trim

Never install trim before water is turned on, you need to check and make sure no leaks inside the wall before installing trim
Seeing how this was the third time I had to do this, I didn't think that would be an issue. The first two times I didn't re-install the trim until I saw there wasn't any leaks.
Obviously, it's a little tiring to keep waiting to check for leaks when it's the same junction point and only the cartridge is changed. I'm not a plumber, just someone trying to do something to save money that was supposed to be easy.

Call Moen and tell them that your shower posi temp faucet is bad and was wondering if there is anything
they can do. Tell them you already tried to new cartridges. It might not hurt to try. They have been noted
to replace the whole faucet and you sound knowledgeable enough to replace this yourself.

Call Moen and tell them that your shower posi temp faucet is bad and was wondering if there is anything
they can do. Tell them you already tried to new cartridges. It might not hurt to try. They have been noted
to replace the whole faucet and you sound knowledgeable enough to replace this yourself.
I can try that, however I am woundering if there is something else wrong somewhere else, as there is a small ammount of water comming through that faucet when the main is shut off.

With main water off, there is still water in the pipes trying to drain out, just by gravity.
Also, your main shutoff might not be 100 percent.

Also, having water drain out of a kitchen or bath faucet, with the main turned off, is related to how some faucets are built.
They often need full water pressure to operate.
So when the main is off, there is only very low pressure, from water trapped in the pipes trying to drain down by gravity.
And so some faucets will trickle for minutes or hours, until all the trapped water above that faucet has found its way out.

That explains the flow. Just seemed weird that it was coming out where the cartridge is after the main is off when other faucets in the house go dry.
Heck, with a chartridge installed, if I close it and wait for a couple minutes, opening it causes about 50ml to 100ml water to come through.

I realize that I did not mention the the exact point where water seemed to flow from, and for that I apologize.

That water coming out of the faucet when the cartridge is out has nothing to do with your drip. It sounds
like you have a bad faucet body.

That water coming out of the faucet when the cartridge is out has nothing to do with your drip. It sounds
like you have a bad faucet body.
Out of curiosity, why was it fine before the original cartridge swap?
I am not real comfortable doing a swap of the faucet body, and that's not exactly a cheap part, so that would be a plumber call.

Minerals or crud might have scratched the inside sealing surface of the brass valve body, during cartridge extraction.
Or valve body was getting corroded, and that corrosion broke off with the cartridge.
Just a theory.

Ok, have an update.
I didn't call Moen, but when I was messing around with it again, I noticed that if the handle was not turned all the way to the 6 o'clock position, but more into the 5:30-5:45 position, the drip stopped completely.
In light of this, I ordered the temp limiter (did not have one before), and have it set to prevent turning the handle all the way to 6 o'clock, and the drip is no more!

I realize that it's possible there is a scratch somewhere on something, but this was a cheap $4 fix to the issue, and the home owner, my sister, is happy with the result.

Thank you everyone who had input.

Back