Replaced shower cartridge now there is a drip.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanW

Reaction score
So, I replaced the cartridge in the shower (single handle) because it got to the point where turning the handle only worked one way. Before that, it was hard to turn.
Got all that done, and now it's easy to turn, however with the handle in the off position there is a small drip now.
Im unsure as to why but the cartridge has been installed for a couple weeks.

A little more info, I had to take the first replacement cartridge back because it wouldn't turn off. This is the second replacement cartridge. Also, I followed the directions and only used a little lubricant to get it installed.

Pictures of the valve and trim will help identify it, unless you can post that info.
Brand and model of valve and cartridge.

Everything is Moen.
The cartridge is a posi-temp 1222 and I the trim is the Adler Chrome posi-temp tub/shower model 82603

Sometimes a slow drip is caused by a clogged shower head, full of minerals and not draining right out after a shower.

Unscrew the shower head and see if the shower arm still has the slow drip.

Did you buy a genuine Moen cartridge, or a Danco knockoff?

Did you clean out crud and minerals from the brass valve body with paper towels soaked in vinegar?
Followed by wiping out with water, and no lint left inside?

Sometimes a new cartridge can get a scratch on a rubber seal while being inserted.
The old valve body has a rough spot, or hardened minerals that can nick the rubber.
Thorough cleaning and flushing of old crud is important.

Then a decent coating of plumbers’ grease on the rubber parts before inserting.

Sometimes new valves are just defective.

Yes, I got a genuine Moen cartridge.
The drip is from the spout only, about a couple drops to about a teaspoon every few minutes.
No, I did not clean out the brass valve body, I did not see anything recommending that.
The old cartridge had turned yellow, but I didn't see or feel any nick's or scratches on the rubber of the old one. When I inspected the old one, I could hear something rattling inside. It was also a pain to remove the old one, almost like there wasn't any lubricant on it at all.
I added a coat of plumbers' grease before inserting the the new one.
Unfortunately, I have long since tossed the receipt from Home Depot and didn't get it E-Mailed. If I would need to get another one, I think I would rather order (an official) one off Amazon and save some money.

You can contact Moen for a free cartridge.
Be sure to state that you are the original owner who installed the valve.

You can contact Moen for a free cartridge.
Be sure to state that you are the original owner who installed the valve.

This isn’t even necessary. Just walk into any Moen dealer and tell them you need a cartridge. I usually get 4 or 5 a week when I’m in there just to have stock on my van

This isn’t even necessary. Just walk into any Moen dealer and tell them you need a cartridge. I usually get 4 or 5 a week when I’m in there just to have stock on my van
That's not going to work for me because there are no dealers close enough to me to justify going to. Tomorrow, if I have time, I'll contact Moen. They want a picture of the product, so I need to take the handle off again to get a picture.

There might be a piece of debris around the new cartridge. Take it back out and flush the faucet and inspect
the cartridge and grease it again and then put it back. If it still drips tell moen to send you a new one.

There might be a piece of debris around the new cartridge. Take it back out and flush the faucet and inspect
the cartridge and grease it again and then put it back. If it still drips tell moen to send you a new one.
Did that, still drips.
Moen is sending a replacement cartridge, and I will update when it comes in and is installed.

So either there is something else wrong, or I am missing something.
The replacement Moen sent has a constant leak, so I put the previous one back in.

Side note, when the water is off to the house, there is still water coming out of the faucet. Only the shower faucet, and I don't know where its coming from or why it's happening.

Here are the steps I took this time (I don't think I'm missing anything, but I might forget a step I took) :
1. Shut off water
2. remove handle
3. remove temp limiter
4. remove stop tube
5. remove escutcheon
6. remove locking pin
7. remove cartridge
8. soak paper towels in vinegar and stick into the pipe for 15 minutes
9. remove and discard paper towels
10. brush the pipe with a cheap disposable toothbrush
11. flush the pipe
12. open package
13. lube the rubber sides of the new cartridge
14. insert cartridge with both the HC tab and the notch facing up
15. insert locking pin
16. reinstall the escutcheon
17. reinstall the stop tube
18. reinstall the temp limiter
19. reinstall the handle
20. slowly turn on water until the pips are filled, and then continue opening it all the way.

I am thinking I might need to just call a plumber when I can afford one.

Just a FYI ..... I contacted Moen via email twice over a week ago and have yet to obtain any response. I tried the phonecall routine but was put in a large waiting line.

Your procedure looks good.
Your valve body might be corroded.
Or scratched inside.
Did you buy genuine Moen or a Danco knockoff cartridge?

Your procedure looks good.
Your valve body might be corroded.
Or scratched inside.
Did you buy genuine Moen or a Danco knockoff cartridge?
The newest one is direct from Moen via warranty. I don't feel too good about contacting them again with the same basic issue.

The notch in the brass stem should be facing down. That is the “off position”. Have you confirmed this?
Good catch, I missed that in his checklist.
But wouldn’t the hot/cold also be reversed if he has the notch facing up now?

I don’t remember, I don’t think. I think you have to physically turn the cartridge around on a posi temp to reverse it. The 1225 you can switch hot and cold by just spinning the spindle. I’ve just been in the “notch down” habit for so long I don’t remember what happens other than I would turn the water on the house and hear the tub running and say “****” and go turn it to the off position.

The notch in the brass stem should be facing down. That is the “off position”. Have you confirmed this?
Ok, I'll clarify this :
When installing or removing the cartridge, I have the brass stem notch up as per instructions. It's a lot easier to install the handle when it's in the on position, but I make sure that when everything is going back together, notch is facing down with the handle facing down as well.
The faucet operates properly, with it being off when the handle at 6 o'clock, and turning the handle counter-clockwise turns on the facet, cold water first and then hot, finally stopping at the 9 o'clock position.

Back