Replace Unusual Shutoff valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrism027

Reaction score
A previous owner decided to texture paint the exposed pipes in the basement which is making life for me a little more difficult. This shut off valve is giving me problems (constantly dripping) so I would like to replace. I have general plumbing knowledge, but have not replaced shut off valve before. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

It looks to me like 3/4" cooper pipe -> some sort of coupling?? -> shut off valve -> threaded galvanized steel pipe.

How would you approach this? I'm not opposed to attempting to solder, but would like to avoid if possible.

Thanks for any advice. Hope everyone is staying safe.

-Chris

ShutoffValve - Copy.jpg

Is the leak coming from the stem (just under the handle)? If so you may have to tighten the "packing nut" there. The small one just under the handle. That's where it appears the leak is coming from. Maybe just a 1/8 turn could stop it. If that doesn't do it it's easy to replace the packing.
Packing string can be purchased at HD:
DANCO 3/32 in. x 24 in. Graphite Valve Stem Packing-80793 - The Home Depot
You don't have to remove the stem to replace the packing, just make sure you close the valve first.
The video on Youtube should cover it pretty well.

Stay safe and well :cool:

Back