Relocate laundry drain(add another)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffizzz

Reaction score
Hello everyone first time posting,
Not sure what I got myself into, but it's too late to turn back.
My laundry room originally was designed to stack the washer and dryer, we decided to take out the non bearing wall seperating the restroom and the laundry room to give us more space and have the washer and dryer side by side. I have attached the pictures of the room withe the existing laundry drain, and where I would like the new drain to be. Any suggestions as far as a new vent pipe, and how to connect the new drain from the p trap going down to the subfloor then connecting to the existing vented 2 inch abs..

Attachments

• 20220325_090353~2.jpg
    20220325_090353~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220325_090417~3.jpg
    20220325_090417~3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220326_175930.jpg
    20220326_175930.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220325_090907.jpg
    20220325_090907.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
What is above and coming down the exiting vertical pipe where the "old" connection was/is? And where does the line go after it comes down into the slab?

From your sketch, it appears that after the P-trap turns horizontal, you will need to install a sanitee instead of the 90 you show, and run a vent vertically from that sanitee. You would need to run the vent to the left of the window, obviously, but it doesn't look like you have much space to get to the attic being that close to the eave. However you can punch out of that exterior wall and run the vent up the outside wall. You will need to verify your local codes to see what and how far you need to keep away from things like windows, doors, etc., how high you need to go, and if you need to go above the roof line.

Another easier option, but one that I don't like, is using an AAV. It might fit under the window next to the washing machine outlet box,

1648355249442.png

An AAV must be installed six (6”) inches above the highest flood level rim of the fixtures being vented in stack applications.

What is above and coming down the exiting vertical pipe where the "old" connection was/is? And where does the line go after it comes down into the slab?

From your sketch, it appears that after the P-trap turns horizontal, you will need to install a sanitee instead of the 90 you show, and run a vent vertically from that sanitee. You would need to run the vent to the left of the window, obviously, but it doesn't look like you have much space to get to the attic being that close to the eave. However you can punch out of that exterior wall and run the vent up the outside wall. You will need to verify your local codes to see what and how far you need to keep away from things like windows, doors, etc., how high you need to go, and if you need to go above the roof line.

Another easier option, but one that I don't like, is using an AAV. It might fit under the window next to the washing machine outlet box,

View attachment 34470

An AAV must be installed six (6”) inches above the highest flood level rim of the fixtures being vented in stack applications.
Thank you,
How about if I run a vent pipe on the left of the window and connect it to the existing vent with a 45 elbow, or 2 22 elbows to give me clearance from the edge and to the roof?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220326-215038_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20220326-215038_Samsung Notes.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 1
If you can get to the top plate of the wall in the attic to install it, that would work. You don't have much clearance there. And note, you can run a dry vent horizontally as long as it is sloped 1/4" per foot towards the draining end if that will help with your access to top plate. You do need to support in the attic, like with "chairs" from the ceiling joists or bottom cord of the truss, or hangers from the top cord of the truss or the rafters, whatever the case may be. It has to be at least 1 1/4" pipe, but most people run 1 1/2". I have had to squeeze a 1 1/4" around a main waste stack to get a vent in before I increased it to 1 1/2". Sometimes that 1/4" is all that is needed.

Seems to me you could’ve just left the old box in the wall like it is and just let the new washing machine connect to it on the side.

I don’t t know your layout, if that would work for you.

Seems to me you could’ve just left the old box in the wall like it is and just let the new washing machine connect to it on the side.

I don’t t know your layout, if that would work for you.
The old box still there, but the washer has to be on the left side, cause the door opens from right to left and it is not reversible. If I put the washer on the right side by the existing box and when WM door opens, it will box you in between the washing machine and the toilet. I attached a sketch on the picture to give it more visual.

Attachments

• 20220314_132120~2.jpg
    20220314_132120~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back