Re-plumb Plan Overview

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoody256

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum and I was wondering if anyone could give a DIYer some advice or guidance?

I moved to a new house built in 1965 with copper lines through a monolithic slab foundation (no basement). The copper pipes still work good, but there are a few things I want to improve so I want to replumb the house. My reasons are listed below:
  • The copper pipes are old and in the slab, if and when they start having issues it will be hard to tell.
  • The copper pipes have a large build up of iron or some other minerals. There is a lot of iron in the groundwater (well is the supply water) and seems previous owners did not use iron filters (I have one installed now), because its got quite the build up. The water always smells metallic.
  • The entire house supply of hot water runs through 1/2 inch copper, which means its noticeable if several things are running at once.
  • I want recirculating hot water, for instant hot water at the far end of my house where the main bath is.
  • I plan to add another full bath in the future at the very opposite end of the house.
I plan to get my own permit and have an inspector come make sure its all good. I will work on it over the course of a year, knocking chunks here and there and then re-drywalling as I go.

I will be using Uponor expansion pex, and I want to keep all fittings out of the attic. I plan to do a fare amount of extra insulation for the pipe in the attic (plus the recirculating hot) to keep things from freezing. We have several nights that get 20 below here. I have attached some pictures which show where I plan to run the lines. I want to do sub manifolds so I can keep all the connections in a common accessible location.

Let me know if you have any complaints!

Attachments

• bigbath_buthtub.jpg
    bigbath_buthtub.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 5
  • bigbath_toliet.jpg
    bigbath_toliet.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 5
  • bigbathhub_cold.jpg
    bigbathhub_cold.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 3
  • bigbathhub_hot.jpg
    bigbathhub_hot.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 5
  • bigbathshower_left.jpg
    bigbathshower_left.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 3
  • bigbathshower_right.jpg
    bigbathshower_right.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 4
  • half_bath.jpg
    half_bath.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 3
  • kitchen-sink.jpg
    kitchen-sink.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 4
  • laundry_room.jpg
    laundry_room.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 7
  • PlumbingPath.jpg
    PlumbingPath.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 9
You can install pipes in your attic no matter how low your temps get if you have typical construction. Just be sure to install the pipes between the heated space and your insulation.

You can install pipes in your attic no matter how low your temps get if you have typical construction. Just be sure to install the pipes between the heated space and your insulation.
Well I do need to run over the joist, so it would be 6 inch above the heated space, but maybe a possible consideration is to cut many holes (something like 3x20) through the joist.

Also (not to be contrary, I agree with you), I had two different plumbers come quote for the work in the OP and both were very much trying find any alternative to running through the attic.

Back