Random plumbing pics

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That pink bathroom is being gutted in the fall.

I’m not doing the demolition. I quit doing demo work about 10 yrs ago.

No, the house I gutted was an old cottage that I inherited, and planned on flipping. Most people avoid homes with pink bathrooms, which were very popular in the 1940's and 1950's, but unless you really love the pink, it is a seller's nightmare.

No, the house I gutted was an old cottage that I inherited, and planned on flipping. Most people avoid homes with pink bathrooms, which were very popular in the 1940's and 1950's, but unless you really love the pink, it is a seller's nightmare.
A lot of people like those vintage tile bathrooms.

A lot of people like those vintage tile bathrooms.
I agree with that. Just hard for some people to stomach the colors.
That pink bathroom is being gutted in the fall.

I’m not doing the demolition. I quit doing demo work about 10 yrs ago.
That's smart, the demo is pretty unskilled work (unless you are trying save stuff) and it sucks doing it.

Have you seen they have something on TLC or HGTV -- some competition for building a Barbie dream home? Yick.

I'm not a big fan of pink. That dusty rose is pretty terrible.

My very first thought when I saw that chandelier was the song with lyrics "IIII wanna swing from the chandeliiiiieeeer". I think I scared someone in HD the other day when I busted that out when I passed the lighting aisle. My 2nd thought was that the chandelier dangling over the tub is an electrical code violation bc someone might try to grab it if they slip and pull it down. 3rd thought was "eww" on the color.

I'm liking my own tub much better now.

Not the best shot, but this is in front of my friend's house-- city messed up by busting a waterline. It leaked, caused sewage to spew up and is now causing sinkholes all over. The road got sink holes, my friend's yard now has at least one. One of the hoses is pumping out of the manhole to somewhere and the other is pumping in to a ditch. Previously there was a single hose pumping in to the manhole. They also dug out the ditch move but all it did was expose the top of a culvert (and made my friend's driveway even narrower). It reeks of raw sewage out there.
1689482130291.png

Last edited:
Yellow, green, pink, blue. Sometimes black “accent” tiles. Standardized colors among many manufacturers “mid-century.”

More wild than these colors was the fact that you can could buy matching toilet paper and tissues! Our home in Medfield MA was built in 1968. We bought it in 1972. The master bath was yellow. The main bath was green. Powder room was blue. Sinks, toilets, tub all matchy-matchy with the 4x4 tile. My mom always bought the matching toilet paper and tissues for each room.

White never went out of style. 😉

In the house I flipped, I hired a bath epoxy guy who roughed up all the pink tile and bathtub and sprayed it white. I then changed out the pink toilet and changed out the pink sink for a white sink. I did demo one wall out to get to the the old electrical, and ripped out 64 sq ft of pink tile, in lath and plaster. I shiver thinking about that job.

In the house I flipped, I hired a bath epoxy guy who roughed up all the pink tile and bathtub and sprayed it white. I then changed out the pink toilet and changed out the pink sink for a white sink. I did demo one wall out to get to the the old electrical, and ripped out 64 sq ft of pink tile, in lath and plaster. I shiver thinking about that job.
I am wondering how the part where it was sprayed white held up? That seems like a good way if it would last.

I've done the same job many times years ago. Most of the old tile were set in a 1" thick mortar bed with chicken wire. One hell of a demo!

Thankfully the sink in my bathroom was already white so I'm keeping it that way. Mom's toilet, sink, and tub/shower were avocado green. Already replaced the toilet. Need to replace the sink & shower. And the subfloor. Vanity will be staying but we'll be doing a new laminate on the counter. Every green thing remaining will be getting painted some shade of blue.

You can sort of see the green on this picture of the hot water handle that wasn't working (before it got disconnected when pipes burst and we roughed in the pex)
1689531766700.png

Found an old photo of when I redid the sink plumbing. Still an S-trap under there but a lot better than the mess that was there before:
1689535045409.png
It's a hot mess under there right now. Needs to be cleaned up a lot and get new shelf liner. Also thinking of putting an AAV in there (there is still one atmospheric vent in the house). We've since gone to PEX but the cold water isn't hooked up yet. Water takes awhile to run hot from the hot side though.

Last edited:
here is house built in 1960, Jacksonville, FL, concrete block walls, pier & beam foundation.... bought for my Mom in 2018, here is me demo'ing the typical GREEN tile master bath.... the shower area, had been re-done ( I guess..???) in black & white pattern....

1689538840407.png

plumbers I hired, had already busted those wholes, under the sink and toilet, while they swapped out the old polybutylene for CPVC water pipe (insurance would NOT cover pb water pipes....) PB pipe is still there, in the pic, I think...

Yellow, green, pink, blue. Sometimes black “accent” tiles. Standardized colors among many manufacturers “mid-century.”

More wild than these colors was the fact that you can could buy matching toilet paper and tissues! Our home in Medfield MA was built in 1968. We bought it in 1972. The master bath was yellow. The main bath was green. Powder room was blue. Sinks, toilets, tub all matchy-matchy with the 4x4 tile. My mom always bought the matching toilet paper and tissues for each room.

White never went out of style. 😉
Built in 1959, this shower will be gutted soon because the original cast iron drain trap is leaking, this design is much more subdued than my Parent's master bath which was remodeled years ago.

That bathroom featured green everywhere, a hideous checkerboard pattern of pale and dark green 4" tile in the shower (which made most people dizzy), plumbing fixtures (all American Standard), wallpaper, floor tiles, ceiling and all accessories within, right down to green toilet paper....we used to call it the Jolly Green Giant's bathroom...

My Parents adored green, right down to my Mom's '61 Country Sedan and my Dad's '65 Mustang...

Attachments

• 20230710_174713 (1).jpg
    20230710_174713 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
OK, you win, that is MUCH worse that what my Mom's house had.... ha ha ha all just UR/mine opinion, everybody like's what they like....???

OK, you win, that is MUCH worse that what my Mom's house had.... ha ha ha all just UR/mine opinion, everybody like's what they like....???
I'm not looking forward to demolishing it because the tiles are set into a 1" mortar bed with chicken wire, additionally the shower pan is copper (my Father would have insisted on it) set over what used to be a dry mortar bed.

You know for a fact that after 60+ years that mortar has turned into solid cement...

In its place will be a medium gray solid surface shower base with matching 12x24" porcelain tile, joints staggered 30% to the adjacent tile.

Back