Question about hot water recirculation in a relatively large home

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zvizeman

Reaction score
Dear all,

I have installed a Watts recirculating pump on my electric water heater at the start of the main hot water pipe and a bypass valve at the farthest bathroom sink. The system works like a charm. However, there is a piping branch that goes to the kitchen sink, laundry room and powder room sink. The water in this loop seems not to be a part of the first stated loop; therefore, it takes a long time to get hot water from the taps on this loop.

QUESTION: Should I be installing a bypass valve at the farthest location on this loop? Would it not interfere with the other loop/valve?

Your constructive response is much appreciated in advance.

Happy New Year!

Zack

Yes, just install another bypass valve on the end of the pipe run that’s not getting hot. It will not interfere.

Hello this is interesting. I've been considering installing this system but am concerned about possible contaminated hot water from the tank passing through the cold water lines which supply our drinking water. Anyone have experience on that ?

Hello this is interesting. I've been considering installing this system but am concerned about possible contaminated hot water from the tank passing through the cold water lines which supply our drinking water. Anyone have experience on that ?

It happens. Don’t drink it. 😄

There has been talk that the hot water that has cooled and then subsequently pushed into the cold side shouldn’t be used for drinking or cooking. 😑

Hmmmm....wouldn't that also infer that water in the hot water lines that was heated and then cooled off while sitting in the pipes would be similarly 'contaminated'???

I brush my teeth and take my morning pills using the cool water in the hot water pipes while waiting for the hot water to come out....

I've installed and used the recirculation systems that cycle water from the hot water lines through the cold water lines via the bypass valve - have never seen any documentation alluding to this concern or that these systems were not intended for potable water....????

I'm interpreting your emoticon as skepticism..??

Hmmmm....wouldn't that also infer that water in the hot water lines that was heated and then cooled off while sitting in the pipes would be similarly 'contaminated'???

I brush my teeth and take my morning pills using the cool water in the hot water pipes while waiting for the hot water to come out....

I've installed and used the recirculation systems that cycle water from the hot water lines through the cold water lines via the bypass valve - have never seen any documentation alluding to this concern or that these systems were not intended for potable water....????

I'm interpreting your emoticon as skepticism..??

It’s indeed not a good idea to drink cooled hot water out of your plumbing system. That’s my opinion and others share that opinion, some may not.

You’ll just have to do some reading and decide for yourself.

It’s indeed not a good idea to drink cooled hot water out of your plumbing system. That’s my opinion and others share that opinion, some may not.

You’ll just have to do some reading and decide for yourself.
Any idea where I find some reading material on the subject of not drinking water from your hot water faucet that has been cooled? Assuming your water use is rather frequent, and your water supply is from a safe water source, I can't see any chemical or biological issues with using that water.

And you mentioned that it should not be used for cooking either? Even if there were some biological issues with the cooled hot water (which I can't see at all), wouldn't the boiling of the water, when you poach an egg for example, take care of it?

Please educate me on some sources of this issue.

Thanks

Any idea where I find some reading material on the subject of not drinking water from your hot water faucet that has been cooled? Assuming your water use is rather frequent, and your water supply is from a safe water source, I can't see any chemical or biological issues with using that water.

And you mentioned that it should not be used for cooking either? Even if there were some biological issues with the cooled hot water (which I can't see at all), wouldn't the boiling of the water, when you poach an egg for example, take care of it?

Please educate me on some sources of this issue.

Thanks

You can Google it and read for yourself then make your decision.

Probably the most significant reason to not drink "hot water" weather cooled or not, or use it for cooking, etc. is now mostly passe. All copper and brass tubes, pipes and fittings have some minor trace amounts of lead, nickel and "heavy metals" even though they are trace; and hot water has the a greater ability to dissolve these than cold. That's a potential then, albeit infinitesimally small, for some amount of toxicity.

Since PEX has been used for years now, a lot of housing stock has water in the home that barely touches copper/brass.

But, as @Twowaxhack indicates there's plenty of information on the subject. Little of it is definitive, most of it informational such that you make your own choices.

Personally I don’t want to drink water that’s had a magnesium rod dissolving in it and whatever else is sitting in the bottom of a water heater.

What I found was: Is Hot Water From The Water Heater Safe To Drink? (home-water-heater.com)

Just like you indicated, this article says, "Most experts agreed that hot water from the water heater should not be drunk or used for cooking.

If water is left in pipes for more than four hours, you have to let it run for about 30 seconds before drinking. This guarantees that stale water is removed. Stale water may contain impurities from pipes and from all materials with which it has come into contact. The same is with water from the water heater tank, where the water stays for hours."

In this article, it indicates that hot water "exacerbates" the situation of "stale water" and calls for running your cold water for 30 seconds before catching anything for drinking.

This article appears to be based solely on theory. Stating that "most experts agreed that hot water from the water heater should not be drunk or used for cooking" is not very convincing. Who are these "experts"? What are their credentials? Where is their data? The only empirical data that I see in this article is a statement that "the solubility of lead in water is twice as high at 77 F as at 59 F." The article goes on to say that besides lead, "there are some other toxic metals that could be found in water pipes, fittings, fixtures, and other products – such as copper, galvanized iron, stainless steel, and also plastic."

REALLY??? This article warns us about copper, stainless steel, and plastic that can be found in our water system! Apparently, the authors think glass is the only safe water distribution material of construction!

Just asking, does anyone tell their customers that using the cold-water crossover valve for a hot water circulating system has a health issue? Sounds like that could be a liability issue for installers. A person gets ill from drinking water that could be hazardous to their health from a system installed by a person who knew that there were health issues for that system! If I was in the business of installing these systems, I would add warning labels and obtain a written release from any health issues caused by a hot water recirculating system before it is installed.

And based on this article, such releases may be reasonable when any work is performed on a water system if a person adds any copper, stainless steel, or plastic to the water system.

As you said, "You’ll just have to do some reading and decide for yourself."

I think I've already studies enough to make my decision.

I am not going to run my cold water for 30 seconds to flush out the "stale water" in my cold-water pipes.
I am not going to worry about drinking any water, cold or hot, that comes out of my water heater.
I am not going to worry about drinking water from the water fountain at my church that has been sitting all week in a copper pot.

Back