Pressure switch rapidly turns on/off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy22380

Reaction score
My family just purchased a house on a well that had water delivery issues. So I replaced the jet pump on my water tank to house water supply. The pressure switch rapidly turns on /off.
How do I fix this issue? Also was the plumbing done right for this system? I copied the plumbing that was there prior.Is there any changes that should be made. What is the reason for two pressure switches?The house was previously owned by a do it yourselfer. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5956.jpeg
    IMG_5956.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5957.mov
    14.6 MB
Last edited:
Was there a jet pump there previously, or a submersible? You don't want to pressure switches.

Was there a jet pump there previously, or a submersible? You don't want to pressure switches.
There was a jet pump previously.
The water system is a main well pump that pumps water to our storage tank from the storage tank to the house the jet pump is used.
Is there a way to eliminate or bypass on of the pressure switches?

Lol! Thanks guys!

Yes, this system, as almost every system, certainly needs a Cycle Stop Valve. But there is a fairly large pressure tank, it should not be cycling that fast. Most likely you did not bypass the switch that came on the new pump. The only switch that should be used is the one close to the tank, especially because it is on the other side of the check valve. You can bypass the switch on the pump by using the wiring diagram for "jet pump" as attached. You don't have to remove it, just move a couple of wires. But getting the right switch in control will only slow down the cycling, it won't stop it like a Cycle Stop Valve does. After changing the wiring you will be wired correctly for a Cycle Stop Valve when you get ready to add one to the system and get some strong constant pressure in the house while making your pump last longer.

wiring diagram.jpg

The CSV1A will work with the tank you have. But if it is already waterlogged, which could also be a reason the pump is clicking on and off rapidly, you can replace it with a 4.5 gallon size tank as comes with the PK1A kit.

Cistern Storage Tank with Submersible Booster Pump (12).png

Back