Possible to crack cast iron sewage pipe with baby wipes??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
My condo recently got a leak into it. Turns out is was from a running toilet from a unit above. A pipe connected to toilet downstream had formed a crack along it.

The condo unit above me claims that the building's insurance is responsible for a failed common element. The condo board claims the usage of baby wipes caused the pipe to crack. Is that even possible? I figured the toilet would just back up.

** Edit **pipes were initially install around 1985 - making them 35 years old.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2101[2].jpg
    IMG_2101[2].jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2102[2].jpg
    IMG_2102[2].jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 27
  • pipe cross section.jpg
    pipe cross section.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
The wipes probably forced the water thru the leak, but in my experience they did not cause the leak ,those cracks look like age related , the was a brand years ago believe it was call tru spun,(could be wrong) but this brand failed earlier than other no hub cast iron

Geofd said:
The wipes probably forced the water thru the leak, but in my experience they did not cause the leak ,those cracks look like age related , the was a brand years ago believe it was call tru spun,(could be wrong) but this brand failed earlier than other no hub cast iron

The pipes are 35 years old. (I updated my post to reflect that). Good catch on the tru spun cast iron pipes. How can you tell these are tru-spins?

Thanks!!!!

Geofd said:
The manufacturer name is on the pipe unless it's newer it's probably worn off
The defective pipes have been thrown out I'm sure. I can't see the manufacturer's name from these pictures.

I'd think that water would have an easier time to flow back up the toilet and onto the bathroom floors vs cracking the pipe. I think the condo boards argument is weak.

If the pipes are in an unconditioned space, in a hard freeze zone: The clog from the wipes could detain enough water to freeze in the line and freeze causing a split.

Can’t. even begin to determine that because you didn’t put your location in your profile.

The most likely scenario is that the pipe has chancer on the inside, which caught the wipes, creating the clog. And the crack preceded the clog, but wasn’t leaking until thee clog backed up the waste.

From the band clamps on the line I would say the the split was first, and a well intentioned ”maintenance man” put the band clamps on to stop the split from getting larger. Instead of doing the right thing and replacing the failed pipe.

FishScreener said:
If the pipes are in an unconditioned space, in a hard freeze zone: The clog from the wipes could detain enough water to freeze in the line and freeze causing a split.

Can’t. even begin to determine that because you didn’t put your location in your profile.

The most likely scenario is that the pipe has chancer on the inside, which caught the wipes, creating the clog. And the crack preceded the clog, but wasn’t leaking until thee clog backed up the waste.

From the band clamps on the line I would say the the split was first, and a well intentioned ”maintenance man” put the band clamps on to stop the split from getting larger. Instead of doing the right thing and replacing the failed pipe.

I'm in NYC. Profile updated.

W/r/t the band clamp location - It does seem to be an odd spot for a no hub coupling. Why not run a proper length of pipe.

The plumbing company which did the repair wrote the following: "It appeared that the piping was old and cracked from the lack of flow due to stoppage caused by wipes."

In my experience, this condo board has never been above boards. Always looking to avoid expenses when they can force it on some unwitting unit owner.

That is no hub cast iron pipe which is much lighter weight than std cast iron. I have replaced many sections of it that look just like yours. In my opinion, it's junk. I have even seen it fail on vent lines.

Baby wipes do not split cast iron.

Cast iron can be attacked by heavy sewer gas and it can cause it to crack.

Look it up fir yourself and read about it.

Baby wipes do not crack cast iron pipe. The plumbing company statement is complete baloney, not supported by any knowledgeable plumber or piping expert, unless there was a freeze in un-conditioned space.

Read the Condo Documents if necessary.
Typically, Owners own from inside the wallboard & floor. Once outside those areas, it's Condominium owned property, and the responsibility of *that* owner (the Condo). Those pipes ought to properly carry away whatever is normally disposed of in waste lines.

In addition.... Did the plumber come across a baby wipe?, and if so, was it from the unit one above yours, or a unit that's 4 or 11 floors higher up, that also has a baby?

WAIT. When did baby-wipes start having a blue side? Looking closer, the material in that bend, (that you called a cross-section) looks an awful lot like some of those stupoid face masks, the blue ones with pores / weave openings some 10x the size of the Virus.

In any event, report it to your insurance company, and to the board, and make a claim on condo's insurance. Someone has responsibility, and carries insurance (or a fund), to cover this repair and repair to interior of your unit. Let the two insurance companies fight.
/

Last edited:
Back