Plumbing in two bathroom in my basement.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damnthatlamb

Reaction score
Hello. I live in st.paul mn. I am wanting to add two bathrooms in my basement. One is going to have a cast iron tub, toilet, shower and sink. The other one will just have a sink and toilet. I had a guy who is a plumber come map out my basement and said it is going to be easy and a piece of cake. He told me there will be one line that ties into the main line. From that line it will Christmas tree out to the toilet, shower, sink etc. anyways said plumber kept saying he is coming by next week. That happened for 4 months. How do I go about roughing in my bathrooms? How do I tie into the main sewage line? I don’t know where to start with this project. My background is in home remodeling and handyman work.

MN uses its own plumbing code, so it'd be tough to find anyone online that could just lay it out for you.

Get 3 quotes minimum. Maybe go through a general contractor, unless you plan on doing that, but also consider there's carpentry, electrical, HVAC, etc involved (I'm sure you're familiar with the process). Gotta be able to coordinate anything you're not doing yourself.

Two bathrooms is a big job. Might be "easy" for a plumber, but it's certainly no DIY without a solid, working knowledge of the code, and some solid plans for each contractor to work off of.

A plumber is going to want wall locations, layout, vanity and cabinet specs, tub/shower sizes, toilet design (skirted or not ... can impact where water lines are), tub/shower valve brand choices. All that decided beforehand can certainly help move the process along, and things can be adjusted/corrected before any major work starts.

Call around. Start talking to some contractors. They'll let ya know what they need. Keep in mind a lotta guys are still pretty backed up. 4 months of nothing is a bit crazy, but 3 weeks to a month out for a big project is fairly common around me, at least.

Latest posts

Back