Please Please Solve this Gas Riddle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notsure1976

Reaction score
My wife wanted a gas range, how many posts here start with that? So, I bought one (when both our Kenmore/LG fridge and Samsung washer died in the same week). You know the type of week I am having...

We had an extra natural gas hookup in the basement that could be rotated 90 degrees to be exactly where I needed it upstairs. Awesome! Then I decided to check to be sure that the gas pipe in my house, which was built in 2004, was sized appropriately to handle this large range....

I looked in the home-flex book for CSST installations and according to that chart (7.11), using the long run method, my main supply and dryer where fine. However, the new range, furnace, and hot water heater should all be on 3/4" and not 1/2" lines. Yet, the furnace was tagged as passing inspection--this requirement would be the same regardless of my range. Hmmmm.
http://www.valenciapipe.com/product-downloads/home-flex-csst/HOME-FLEX_Installation_Manual.pdf

Then I consulted the IFGC manual. According to this my main line might even be too small! Yikes. http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ifgc/2009/icod_ifgc_2009_4_par013.htm

The problem I am having with figuring out the right answer is deciding which pipe sizing chart to actually use. This depends on the nature of the natural gas that is coming into the house. On the meter is says that I have 5psig with 1/2 diff. but the regulator on the meter has a 1/8 orifice and is at 7wc.

My guess is that 7wc is about 1/4 psi and I should be using a low pressure sizing chart. However, I could be wrong.

I have attached a drawing. Can someone PLEASE look at this and tell me what chart to use and what sizes need to change? I think I need to buy a lots of 3/4 CSST! (SEE ATTACHED PICTURE FOR MY CURRENT SETUP)

gasline.jpg

Last edited:
Did I forget to mention that the new range doesn't fit in the hole because my counter is wider by an inch in the back than in the front? Looks like I am going to power plane the cupboards in a minute to fix the builders issue.

We bought a $400 beverage center while we wait for the new fridge to arrive in 2 weeks. The digital thermostat is off by 4 degrees consistently in this little thing. It might not spoil the milk if I am lucky.

And my week continues...

Since I have not had the stove ever on the system, and I don't think it hurts to go larger, I decided to run 3/4 inch csst to the range instead of the 1/2.

This is coming off the 1" line so I assume it is OK to err on the of caution and go larger. Right?

Also, now I have some extra 3/4 csst. Should I go ahead and upgrade the run to the furnace and hot water heater?

Thanks!

Yes, big ass oven (at least bigger than what we had)....This funny comment caused me to check that size again. And I discovered that if I added up all of the burners it was 84,500BTU.... but the total power of the range is only listed as 53,000BTU on the Samsung site apparently they don't count the oven or broil BTU in the total? http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/nx/58/f5/nx58f5500sbaa/8033_NX58F5500SS_V6.pdf

So, if that really is the case, then 1/2" is totally fine for this appliance. Lucky I didn't run the 3/4 CSST yet. That stuff was expensive and I was happy to take it back to the store. I'm gonna use some 1/2 black that was already stubbed in and see how it runs.

I think the furnace and maybe hotwater heater should have 3/4 running to them. But as Frodo says, it might be best to run the system and see how it workds then trouble shoot from there. After all, it has worked fine for all these years without a range. I'd probably start by increasing the line of the furnace to 3/4 and then the hotwater heater to 3/4 and if all else fails the main line to 1 1/4.

What gets me is that this thing was inspected. My guess is that either they know something about the pressure at my meter that I don't (very likely) or no one bothered to check the BTU on the furnace and water heater.

Update: Hooked it up, tested for leaks, turned everything on in the house on full blast, and flames are pretty blue. I guess the 1/2 line was fine after all.

I'm guessing your only issue is when you have all of the gas appliances fired up at the same time. I ran a 1/2" line 40' to my fireplace and afterwards realized that was way under piped. I solved it by increasing the pipe size.

Latest posts

Back