Pipes crackling noises when running hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrc123

Reaction score
Hi, did anyone have issues with pipes making crackling noises in the crawlspace when the hot water was running? How did you fix it?

The noise starts when running hot water in a specific place. Not everywhere, so I suppose it's isolated to pipes going to that place.
It starts slow with louder noises like tick, tick tick, then becomes faster but quieter more like t-t-t-t-t-t.... and after a while it stops.
I've checked, there's no leak. I had a leak that was fixed, and I had the water pressure valve replaced as well along the same place the noise is coming from. The noise was there before those fixes being done though.

I had a few of plumbers tell me to "get used to it", but it's really becoming annoying.
They said it's the pipes expanding when the hot water is being delivered.
I have cpvc pipes, that are just below the floor and fastened to it, with isolation around them.

I've attached a video with the audio of the noise here, since it's too large to be uploaded. https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMpsRH5fnCN8D9d97

Best,
Tim

What you're describing is the pipes expanding and contracting as the water temperature changes inside the pipes. No really an easy fix unless you want to go down there and add foam or some sort of isolation between the pipe and floor joists where the pip hangers are.

What you're describing is the pipes expanding and contracting as the water temperature changes inside the pipes. No really an easy fix unless you want to go down there and add foam or some sort of isolation between the pipe and floor joists where the pip hangers are.
Thanks.
If all it takes is some foam or isolation, them considering it done.
Will try to locate to area where the pipes are rubbing against the joist .. will keep you posted :)

I agree, it’s the pipe expanding and contracting against the framing.

Latest posts

Back