PEX pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandguy

Reaction score
I’m replacing my broken(freeze) pvc pipe with Pex. I’m near the ocean in a pretty salty(corrosive) area. Will the brass fittings hold up in this type of environment?

I’m replacing my broken(freeze) pvc pipe with Pex. I’m near the ocean in a pretty salty(corrosive) area. Will the brass fittings hold up in this type of environment?
Yes they will if your water supply is not acidic.

On the other hand, so far, if you use a major mfr (Uponor or Viega) the plastic fittings should last a lifetime.

What about copper crimp vs stainless clamp in that environment?
Or using expansion type fittings?

I don’t use pex, except for small repairs with push fittings, but just wondering.

PS why are the stainless pinch clamps directional?

EDIT, what I meant was some pinch clamps have an arrow, what is that for?

Last edited:

I don’t use pex, except for small repairs with push fittings, but just wondering.

I use the copper crimp rings but I have some of the stainless clamps too, never use them really.

Salt air doesn’t do anything to them or the fittings.

Condos I’ve piped with it at the beach has been in service for over 20 yrs. The upstairs anyway, the lower floors has been replaced, washed away by hurricanes.

Why don’t you have crimp tools ?

You can buy great tools on eBay for cheap. Want links ? Those push fits are going to “ bite” you one day. I wouldn’t use them inside in most places I work.

Almost all the piping around my area is copper.

I have only used short sections of pex a handful of times in awkward conditions, hard to get from here to there, or unsafe to solder, hard to get two arms in to use brass compression fittings, etc.

PS I saw a little video on types of pex fastening, and was surprised to see some brass compression fittings with a ferrule, much like used on copper.
But they had a barbed insertion.

I use sdr9 pex and fittings.

SDR is standard dimension ratio. Tells you what fittings will work.

If I ever have need, I would probably get the tool for stainless pinch (cinch?) clamps.
Seems easier to use, smaller tool head, the clamps don’t scoot around before tightening, and one size works on most common house sizes of Pex.

The clamps cost more I hear, but I pass on the cost anyway.
And I do service or repair, have not done any build-outs for a long time.

Any more opinions either way, I would welcome more feedback.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

If I ever have need, I would probably get the tool for stainless pinch (cinch?) clamps.
Seems easier to use, smaller tool head, the clamps don’t scoot around before tightening, and one size works on most common house sizes of Pex.

The clamps cost more I hear, but I pass on the cost anyway.
And I do service or repair, have not done any build-outs for a long time.

Any more opinions either way, I would welcome more feedback.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.
I don’t think we hijacked it, we’re here to help him.
Crimp rings are faster and IMO easier to work with.
The stainless clamps can be good to use in tight spaces. I still don’t like them as much as copper rings.

Once a copper ring is crimped that’s it. Stainless can break.

I don’t think we hijacked it, we’re here to help him.
Crimp rings are faster and IMO easier to work with.
The stainless clamps can be good to use in tight spaces. I still don’t like them as much as copper rings.

Once a copper ring is crimped that’s it. Stainless can break.
I will be using the stainless crimp rings, I hope to do this once and not worry again.

Good luck!

Post some before and afters, to show us your mighty skills. 👍
I will Jeff. Every pvc pipe broke in our freeze here in Tx. I’m on an island on the Gulf coast and we haven’t seen freezing weather there in 25 years.

It will happen again, maybe soon, don’t rely on old weather patterns, climate change is only getting worse.

Plan for freezing, plan your pipes for draining or blowing out.
Some areas might need a capped tee, to be able to pour in some RV type antifreeze.
I have heard that cheap vodka works, in a pinch.
Also gives you an excuse to stockpile it, haha.

Insulation helps for awhile in some situations.
Buy a generator, keep the carburetor dry or it will gum up from sitting.
Plan to heat what you can’t drain.

At least pex has some more forgiveness to freeze than Pvc.
Choose whatever fittings and fastening system is recommended as most resistant to freeze damage.

Pros on here can advise.

I can make 3 crimps with rings before I can make one with stainless., maybe more.,

Doing a whole house that translates into a lot of time.

But I’m not trying to talk anyone out of anything. Just telling you what I do and why.,

Latest posts

Back