partly clogged 4" cast iron main line, questions about installing a cleanout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMHmedchem

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a clogged main line that allows some slow drainage. I have tried main line cleaner (which has worked in the past) but that did not do the trick and I need to look at more direct methods. I could really use some advice at this point.

This house was built sometime in the 1870s. A few years ago I replace the water line. At that point, the city inspector said that the line that was replaced was installed in 1920 (concrete lined steel pipe). My guess is that the sewer line was installed at the same time. The house may not have had indoor plumbing before that.

There is a 1950s double sink in the basement that is right next to the stack. That is where things always back up when there is an issue. I guess that's not such a bad place if it has to happen. The sink drains into 2" PVC that picks up the drain from the washing machine and the empties into the stack below the floor. A few years ago I re-did the plumbing under the sink because it didn't have enough pitch. At that point I put a union into the sink vent to give me some access to the main. Here is a picture of the setup,

stack_pipe.jpg

The distance between the floor and the first flange in the pipe is a bit less than 44". The cast iron pipe is 4" OD. The 2" PVC to the left is the plumbing from the double sink. The horizontal 2" PVC at the bottom is the drain from the washing machine. The union in the 2" PVC is in the vent for the sink. The 2" PVC enters the stack below the floor somewhere. I didn't do that so I have no idea what the junction looks like.

If I run the basement sink, the sink it will eventually fill with water. The water will go down slowly, so some water it getting through. If I flush a toilet when the sink has water in it, that will end up in the sink as well. I have tried a gallon of main line cleaner by going overnight without using any water to hopefully let all the water drain down to the blockage. I then opened the union and poured the gallon in and left if for 8 hours without using any water. Then I flushed with hot water.

I can run the snake in further then I could before but I am still hitting an obstruction and the sink is still filling with water if I let it run. Based on my measurements with the snake, the obstruction is just on the other side of the outside wall, which puts it under the front porch. What is odd is that the snake hits something where I cannot push the snake through by hand. If I apply a little power with the drill, the snake goes right forward. I have done this with the sink full of water and punching through does not seem to affect the rate of drain. I have gone forward and backward with the snake. I have powered the snake in some and then pulled it back by hand. I have powered the snake in some distance and then ran it backwards while pulling it out. None of this seems to make any difference, which doesn't make sense. How can the snake go through but the drain not clear at least some?

There used to be access to a "house trap" about 3' in front of where the stack goes into the floor. There were wooded boards that you could take up and see the pipe surrounded with gravel. The pipe had a threaded plug. I took up the carpet and was very surprised to find no sign of the clean-out. It must have been concreted over when the carpet was put down. I don't remember doing that but it just isn't there anymore.

At any rate, I need access for a camera (I am not sure I can get a scope down the 2" with the union and through the elbow) or a power auger, or both. The old clean-out was just a "T" and wouldn't have allowed access with the power auger anyway (unless it was a very small diameter snake). My first thought was to brace the horizontal on the first Y on the stack and cut into the the 44" vertical section of 4" cast iron pipe. I could then use Fernco fittings to install a 4" DWV PVC "Y" fitting there. I am worried that the stack could be weakened by that and crate a disaster above. The other option would be to cut open the floor and find the old clean-out and replace that with a Y. That has me a bit worried about breaking the pipe while trying to get to it, though I could likely replace anything that broke.

Sorry for the rather long post but I could really use some advice here.

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Last edited:
Can you support the vertical part of the stack
From the basement ceiling????????what diameter cable are you using,and what length is it,how far to the street?????

Can you support the vertical part of the stack From the basement ceiling????????
I was thinking of bracing under the the lower "Y" with 3 lengths of 2x4 that were screwed together to make a 2x6. The middle length or 2x4 would be shorter where it meets the pipe to create a saddle so it won't slip. I was also going to secure some galvanized pipe hanger strap around the upper Y and screw it to the joist. This is what I was thinking and then I started to think that whatever I did would have to be permanent and not just support the stack during work. Even if I get the PVC fitting to the exact length so that is it bearing some weight I am not sure I would trust it with the weight of the stack above. Is that correct?

what diameter cable are you using, and what length is it, how far to the street?????
I am using a Husky 1/4"x25' Power Drum Auger for the snake. I wasn't too expensive and seemed to be worth having in the box. It is about 30' to the sidewalk. I am not sure where the pipe is in the street so it could be another 10' to 15' to the sewer main. I am hitting resistance at about 15' on the snake, 5' of which is probably maneuvering through the 2" PVC and into the main line.

Thank you for taking time on a holiday, I really appreciate it.

LMHmedchem

I would support anything I could to the joists, then I would buy(from a plumbing supply house) what's refered tool as a steel friction clamp,or riser clamp you could put it just above the 1st wye and secure it to the joists with threaded rod and nuts 3/8",you could also put another friction clamp under the 2nd hub from the floor and support that from the floor with 2×4s then cut a clean out just above the floor level rimof your basement sink

I run 3/4” innercore cable in 4” pipe and 5/8” or 3/4”. Innercore cables is all I’ll use.

If you run too small of cable it can knot up in the pipe aka “ flip “ . It also doesn’t do as good of a job and it works the operator too hard.

Most people would be better off to leave main line cleaning to the pros.

I would support anything I could to the joists, then I would buy(from a plumbing supply house) what's refereed to as a steel friction clamp,or riser clamp you could put it just above the 1st wye and secure it to the joists with threaded rod and nuts 3/8",you could also put another friction clamp under the 2nd hub from the floor and support that from the floor with 2×4s then cut a clean out just above the floor level rim of your basement sink
I guess the main question I have is if I should just go back into the floor and install a clean-out there instead of messing with the vertical section of stack. I am really annoyed with myself because I re-did the upstairs bath a number of years ago and I should have changed out the cast iron stack then. Given the age of the house I decided to do a full gut and replace all of the plumbing and electric as well as look at the framing. One reason I believe that this house didn't originally have indoor plumbing is that they used an axe to cut one of the joists to make room for the toilet trap. It would have been a reasonable job to replace the stack when everything was already opened up like that. It just never occurred to me at the time.

Most people would be better off to leave main line cleaning to the pros.
I may well do that but someone will have to create access first. I am not sure that I can get a large enough tool in through the 2" PVC to do any good, or at least any more good than my 1/4" snake has done/not done. Does anyone disagree with that?

Is there a camera that I could get through the access that I have? I have seem videos of cameras that were attached to a 1/4" snake like I have using zip ties. As long as the head of the camera wasn't too long I think that would work.

If there is something reasonable I can do to see what the issue is then I think it would make sense to do that before going too much further. Otherwise, I will try to get a clean-out installed for inspection and repair.

LMHmedchem

You could have both cleaning and camering done at the same time, as they camera they speak into a microphone documenting what the see were they see it,they put it onsflash drive for you to keep

You could have both cleaning and camering done at the same time, as they camera they speak into a microphone documenting what the see were they see it,they put it onsflash drive for you to keep
Can either cleaning or camering be done with the current access I already have or will I/someone have to install a proper clean-out first?

If a clean-out is necessary (even if I can get around it this time I think I will eventually need one), what do you think about where to put the clean-out? Are there land mines and issues installing under the floor other than the labor required? I will probably still brace the stack some even if I put a clean-out under the floor as cutting the pipe anywhere could disturb it.

LMHmedchem

The reason I would install it just above the floor level rim of your basement sink is so if you did have a stoppage you could open that clean out with out a mess, as a maintenance standpoint you could install one in the floor because it would be closer to the street,and you can clean both ways

I finished taking up the old carpet and I ended up finding the old clean-out, or half of it anyway. It is partly covered by some builtin shelving. I didn't put the shelving in and the clean-out was covered by carpet and I guess they didn't know it was there. I will have to do some disassembly of the shelving to get at it but it looks reasonable.

My recollection is that it is just a sanitary T with a threaded plug. I also recollect that these are not that convenient for using cleaning tools. The plug is at floor level so I don't know how deep the T is, but probably a foot or less.

Can anyone tell me the largest diameter cable that I could get in there with at least a spade bit? Could I get a in there?

If I can get a 3/8" in there would that be worth a try?

I assume that I can get a camera in there but I guess that would also depend on the size of the camera cable.

Having access where the clean-out is will give me another 10' of reach on my 1/4" snake. I will certainly try that and see if it will help at all. Wasting another 10 minutes isn't going to annoy me overly much at this point.

I am sure I will end up putting in a proper clean-out since this situation is not going to magically improve on its own. It would be nice to get thing moving again so I don't have to be so careful with the water use and can take a little time to address this properly.

LMHmedchem

As you may imagine, I am not having much luck getting the plug out. I have tried a pipe wrench and it just won't bite enough. My largest bolt extractor socket (1") and my largest impact socket (32mm) will not fit over the ~1.2" square plug.

Is there some other kind of wrench I should be using?

I have sprayed it up good with PB blaster but I don't know if that will help or not. I could try with a torch like I do with a rusted bolt on my truck but that won't help much if I can't get a decent bit on the fitting.

LMHmedchem

You can try using a chisel on the edge of the clean out tapping it counter clock wise to see if it moves or you can break it out using a hammer and chisel measure it first so you can replace , did you try putting the pipe wrench on and hitting that with a hammer????

You can try using a chisel on the edge of the clean out tapping it counter clock wise to see if it moves or you can break it out using a hammer and chisel measure it first so you can replace , did you try putting the pipe wrench on and hitting that with a hammer????
I just can't get the pipe wrench to bite very well. The square fitting it not very tall, which is one thing I have never understood. Why not make it 1" tall or something like that so it's easy to get a hold of when you need to? I tried with a large crescent wrench but even when I get it to bite it just cuts into the brass without turning the plug. I can try with a chisel. Can I use a torch on this to try and break the rust?

The only other thing I can think of is to drill 2 holes on opposite sides out by the edge and tap the holes to 3/8" or 1/2". I could thread in a 3" class 10 hex bolt and a flange nut to stabilize the bolt. If the brass plug is thick enough I should be able to put a pipe between the 2 bolts to get some significant leverage on it. If the brass plug isn't very thick I think my only option is to cut it out and replace it if I can get it out without damaging the threads.

Or, I could dig it up and cut out the clean-out entirely to replace with PVC.

It would be nice if something would be easy once in a while.

LMHmedchem

Alright, I will try to get a replacement tomorrow before removing it. My guess is that you don't have to be super careful about cutting into the threads a bit. Is that right or do I need to be careful about that?

LMHmedchem

Yes be careful if you mess up the threads you won't be able to thread in ,once you make a couple of cuts you can have it in just make sure it doesn't fall into the drain

Back