P-trap replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celife

Reaction score
I'm replacing a p trap and found that the pipe running from the sink is 1 1/4" and the pipe coming out of the wall is 1 1/2". The replacement p trap I bought is 1 1/4" which only works on the sink side. I could replace the pipe that comes out of the wall with the 1 1/4" pipe that came with my p trap, but am guessing it wouldn't fit on the far end. To make matters worse, the current pipe coming out of the wall no longer has a screw on nut or whatever it's called since it broke off. Not sure what my next move should be.

bathroom_sink_p_trap.jpg

Yes, the threads on the wall pipe are still fine. The part that broke off was the nut. I don't think I can put a replacement nut on the wall pipe, but I could be wrong. One thing I'm curious about is: how is the other end of the wall pipe connected? Not sure what I'll be getting into when I remove the wall pipe to put in a replacement nut (or replacement wall pipe).

Since last posting I found a "reducing washer" from a prior p-trap problem with another sink. This allowed me to use the wall pipe that came with my replacement p-trap. My wall pipe was too long but I was able to use a hacksaw to get it to the right length. Everything fit great with no leaks! Victory pic attached.

bathroom_sink_p_trap_finished.jpg

Since last posting I found a "reducing washer" from a prior p-trap problem with another sink. This allowed me to use the wall pipe that came with my replacement p-trap. My wall pipe was too long but I was able to use a hacksaw to get it to the right length. Everything fit great with no leaks! Victory pic attached.

Yup, that's where I was going with it.:)

Latest posts

Back