Options to turn on/off rain shower independently

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdfixit

Reaction score
Hi everyone! trying to problem solve a cost effective solution to this shower situation. I apologize I only have limited information, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
This home was recently built. Due to a number of miscommunications the shower set up was changed along the way. It is my understanding that the plumber initially plumbed for a regular showerhead, then changed it to a rain showerhead only. After the switch to the rain showerhead the wall was tiled over so I don't have photos of what is behind after that switch was done but assuming it's a basic set up. Following tile, the regular showerhead was installed in addition to the rain. The issue is that while the regular showerhead can be turned off and on independently by the diverter on the fixture itself, there is no way to turn off the rainshowerhead independently. There is a thought to put an extension rod on the rain to add a diverter valve to that fixture, the issue is that the owners can only reach as far as the current showerhead which is 26.5 inches from the ceiling. The way the set up is now, if you take a shower and tip your head back to wash your hair you get smacked in the face by the rain because it can't be shut off. Trying to come up with a solution where I can turn off the rain. Such thing as an extension arm that will come down from the ceiling that you can pull down to turn off diverter and push back up maybe?? or any fixes that you think could be done without going through the tile from the wall behind the shower? First 2 images are the first stages of installation and last photo is how it is installed now

Attachments

• shower1.jpg
    shower1.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 0
  • shower2.jpg
    shower2.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 0
  • shower3.jpg
    shower3.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 0
Tear the wall open and pipe in a new diverter that operates how you’d like.

OR

Cap the rainhead and eliminate it all together.

2wax is right. Your plumber should have known better.

Would having just the overhead rain shower work better for you? I know I just replaced my shower head with an oil rubbed bronze shower head, with hand held sprayer, which could be completely shut off completely if wanted. It is made by Delta. I know this doesn't solve your exact problem, but is an option to only have one sprayer (overhead) instead of both heads spraying on you.

Latest posts

Back