Offset coupling ABS<->Cast Iron

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kile

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I have an offset coupling that is installed in a 4" waste pipe and it is starting to leak. I can't seem to find a similar (offset) coupling in stores, so I wanted to turn to this community for advice. The coupling is 3.75" long and has about a 2" offset between the two pipes. The cast iron pipe is original to the 50s construction and runs to a number of places (not easy to rip it all out).

My best idea is to get a couple of these 22.5 degree offset fittings and glue them up to the lower (ABS) line in order to align it with the cast iron so that I can use a straight rubber coupling. My rough math shows this will get me reasonably close but I guess I can add a tube between the two couplings if I don't get enough offset. I'll have to cut off some of the cast iron, which seems like a bear. The fittings are also surprisingly expensive. I'm not bad with PVC glue and I will have to educate myself a bit about ABS.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-4...Degree-Spigot-x-Hub-Elbow-C58082HD4/100677983
Am I missing a simpler solution? Can I really deform a straight coupling for this application? Or heat mold it somehow? A 45 degree coupling seems like it'll produce a bigger offset than 2".

I am getting ready to put up a wall that will make it more difficult to access this area, so I want a robust solution here.

Attachments

• IMG_4334.JPG
    IMG_4334.JPG
    976.3 KB · Views: 0
That rubber coupling was a straight 'unshielded' coupling that has deformed in a bad way.
I recommend having a licensed plumbing professional do this.
Strain needs to be taken off that ABS by eventually using either a riser clamp above or a few good pipe straps.
FYI, someone forgot to isolate the ABS from the slab, it is supposed to have foam wrap to preserve isolation from concrete.

Breplum is right. I will add that you are lucky that the pipe did not snap the ABS fitting. ABS is not that rigid and breaks easily especially when there is stress on it.

Back