Newbie trying to replace AO Smith anode

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercat710

Reaction score
Hello,

Newbie homeowner here - we moved into our 9 year old house and I decided to try flushing the water heater and replacing the anode because I'm not sure if it's been done before. Model is an AO Smith GCV-40-300 from '13.

Haven't started any work yet, because I found where I believe the anode is, but the head of it doesn't look like anything I've been able to find online, which shows them normally being a 1-1/16th hex head, or threaded inline with the hot water output. This is what I see when I look at it. What do you make of these pictures? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 13
Take a pic showing the entire top of the water heater please

The anode is under that clear plastic plug in the back.

Interesting, ok. What is that other thing in picture 2, do you know?
I believe that to be an alternate temperature and pressure relief valve location, it appears to have a plug that’s commonly used to plug a secondary T&P location.

Dig that plastic plug out and any insulation and see if you find a hex head. If so, that’s the anode.

Last edited:
So I'm ok to dig all this stuff out, and then when I put a new one in, I need to re-insulate it? Also, what kind of sealant or tape should I use on the new anode? Thanks for your assistance

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 7
Sure you can insulate it with some foam or a piece of pipe insulation stuffed in the hole.

You can use Teflon tape or pipe dope. Or Teflon with a little pipe dope on top of the Teflon, not too much. Light coat.

The anode will be difficult to remove most likely. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I don't think this is right - I'm like 4 or 5 inches down and it's still foam

ok then it’s not there.

Someone may have removed the anode and installed that recessed head plug in its place.

Ive never seen a recessed head plug anode. So I don’t think that’s the anode but it might be it’s original location.

What’s the name and model number of the heater and we might can look up some info on it.

I’ve heard that some water heaters do not have a serviceable anode. It’s buried under the top cover……

Last edited:
AO Smith GCV-40-300 from 2013

Attachments

• Attach0_20220709_115147.jpg
    Attach0_20220709_115147.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Attach0_20220709_115306.jpg
    Attach0_20220709_115306.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 10
Maybe they used an anode like @breplum mentioned on the hot side outlet and plugged the anode hole ?

I can’t find anything specific on your heater other than in the books that AO smith publish online. Those prints do not show your exact top inlet and outlet locations as your pic does.

So I’m guessing.

You could take that square recessed plug out and start with that. You could add an anode there.

You could also remove the hot outlet and check for the secondary anode or install a secondary anode there.

You could call AO Smith and give them your serial number and they’ll be able to give you the exact location as it left the factory.

Or leave it all alone because the heater is getting old. It’s 9 yr old.

Maybe its time to think about replacing it, I dunno
Or just leave it alone. Does it have a drain pan under it that drains to the outside or a floor drain near by ? Where is the heater installed ? Would it damaged anything if it leaks ?

Or just leave it alone. Does it have a drain pan under it that drains to the outside or a floor drain near by ? Where is the heater installed ? Would it damaged anything if it leaks ?
It's out in the garage so nothing would be damaged. Just trying to stay ahead of things and not have things die on me

Latest posts

Back