New Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trust the ID on the valve is as large as possible ... some are small, they will easily plug when draining sediment.
I'll check and I also have a filter to remove sediment. It's nice to not have to clean all my aerators all the time...

I've never seen a "screwdriver controlled" ball valve.... that usually indicates a gate valve.
Anyway .... I replaced my water heater two weeks ago and before I did I replaced the Rheem plastic drain valve with a 3/4 ball valve designed specifically for water heater drains.. We replace the elements and use a wet vac to remove any sediment yearly. The prior heater lasted 14 years.
I've been through the scenario where the drain valve gets sediment under the washer and you spend hours trying to get the leak stopped.

Attachments

• Drain valve.jpg
    Drain valve.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1
I still have not replaced my water heater... I have that Pretty new one sitting in the corner just waiting to be installed. Why won't my 19 year old heater die???

If you bought a Rheem from a supply house it’ll come with a screwdriver operated ballvalve already installed.

There’s no handle so a kid can’t or you can’t accidentally open the valve, but a brass cap isn’t a bad idea.

I still have not replaced my water heater... I have that Pretty new one sitting in the corner just waiting to be installed. Why won't my 19 year old heater die???

What’s that doing to your warranty on the new one ? Most companies go by the date on the heater to honor the warranty unless you can produce a receipt with an install date from a business.

So you might be using up the warranty while it’s sitting in the corner.

If you bought a Rheem from a supply house it’ll come with a screwdriver operated ballvalve already installed.

There’s no handle so a kid can’t or you can’t accidentally open the valve, but a brass cap isn’t a bad idea.
Live and learn ........ All the Rheems I've looked at have the cheapass plastic compression valves from the factory.

You’re half way through the warranty period. That doesn’t bother you ? You realize they can and have leaked immediately upon install ?

I suggest replacing the old heater immediately.
If it leaks upon install. I'm still covered... And no, it doesn't bother me at all. I don't sweat the little things like that.

I'm just grateful that I fix and repair everything. Auto, electrical, plumbing, etc. I do it all.

Using this forum has helped me many times too. From well systems, septic, water heaters and filtration.

I think I'm a member in forums for everything.

Your warranty will expire in 3 yrs. you started with 6.

Would you have bought it with a 3yr warranty ? And it’s not installed yet......

Good luck 🤷

Oh and the best part of this water heater is that my Mother-in-law paid for it. I replaced hers a year before mine started that temporary leak, and I wouldn't take any money she offered me to replace it so she just bought it.

The older it gets, the more likely it will fail with a major leak or a flood, not just a trickle leak that you can live with for awhile.
The whole tank is probably rusty and rotted by now.
19 years is at least six to eight years past time to change it out.

The older it gets, the more likely it will fail with a major leak or a flood, not just a trickle leak that you can live with for awhile.
The whole tank is probably rusty and rotted by now.
19 years is at least six to eight years past time to change it out.

I nominate this as the post of the month. A lot of truth in this.

Every time I flush it, the water comes out clear as spring water. No sediment or any discoloration at all. I was hoping to make 20 years but with my Daughter willing to help and learn, I need to take advantage of that!!!

By Murphy’s Law, it will probably wait to totally blow when you are gone on vacation.
Causing a big flood and no one to notice it.
Or when you have a big family event like Thanksgiving, with guests over etc.
At the least, put some water alarms around it.

Latest posts

Back