New pop up drain leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHRA678

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently replaced my bathroom sink faucet and pop up drain. Upon changing the drain, I notice there is a leak at the pivot ball rod connection. I applied Teflon tape to the threads, but it's still leaking. It's a plastic assembly. Does anyone have any advice that has worked for them besides having to get a whole new brass setup? Thanks!

No teflon tape should be used there. Remove the tape, hand tighten it, then let us know what is leaking and where. Also, pics will really help us to help you.

I've never heard of using teflon tape there. By chance, has that thread been cross threaded? If I were in your shoes, I'pull off that tape, then add a coat of Rectorseal #5, then cinch it up again.

No Teflon there. There should be a seal that came with the kit. Some go in front of the ball to seal, some go on the back between the ball and the nut, some give 2 seals, one in front, one in back.

Since there appears to be quite a tremendous amount of threads still showing, I am going to post the question that Frodo is thinking...Is it possible that you have the concave washer (against the ball) pointed in the correct direction?

Back