New Delta Watersense keeps clogging

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watermelon

Reaction score
Three months ago, my parents had a new toilet installed. Model number is in the photo attached.

On the third day after it was installed by a professional plumber, it clogged.

My parents used green monster and it declogged and thought it was a one time issue. However, since then it has been clogging several times a week, even when it’s just urine. So there is a lot of plunging and using green monster to declog temporarily. My parents are elderly and it’s taking a toll on them.

They told me about it recently and asked for help. I called the plumber they used but he has not responded.

When I looked at the toilet, the flushing power seems weak but I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be like that as it is our first time using a watersense from Delta.

Here is what I’ve tried:
-Increasing water in the tank by unscrewing the floater but the water is on the water line. The screw on the floater doesn’t anything and the water level doesn’t go past the line.

-Told my parents to hold down the lever longer so the entire water in the tank is used for more power

-I noticed in the tank, the right screw has brown stuff around it. I’m not sure if this has anything to with it? What is causing this brown stuff to collect there? Photo attached.

Far as long as it’s been installed (3 months), it’s been clogging.

If anyone has any ideas, we’d really appreciate it. Thanks so much in advance 🙏🏻

Attachments

• 7332933C-5210-41C1-880C-C0A10E3A985A.jpeg
    7332933C-5210-41C1-880C-C0A10E3A985A.jpeg
    576 KB · Views: 0
  • 8377FE39-D720-4529-8F6E-0678223739CE.jpeg
    8377FE39-D720-4529-8F6E-0678223739CE.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 0
I think I see something, looks like the chain from the flapper connects to the handle at an angle move it so it's straight up and down, make sure there's not to much slack on the flapper and make sure there is enough water in the tank should be 1/2" below the top of the tube

The brown stuff doesn’t matter.

Why was the toilet replaced with the new one ?

The drain line may be partially clogged.

Don’t use wet wipes.

The toilet may be defective.

I didn't even know Delta made toilets. If there anything like moens garbage disposals. See what you have to
do to get one of them unjammed. There could be an object of some kind in the trap rolling around in there. If
that toilet is plugging up from pee then you guys have a problem. Tell your plumber you got a faulty one. Take it
back and get a good toilet.

I think I see something, looks like the chain from the flapper connects to the handle at an angle move it so it's straight up and down, make sure there's not to much slack on the flapper and make sure there is enough water in the tank should be 1/2" below the top of the tube
I checked and you’re right, there is a bit of slack in the chain and it is at an angle. I tried to move the flapper so it is right under but it wouldn’t budge at all. Also the chain is so hard to adjust..I’ll look up on how to do it.

Last edited:
The brown stuff doesn’t matter.

Why was the toilet replaced with the new one ?

The drain line may be partially clogged.

Don’t use wet wipes.

The toilet may be defective.
The previous toilet was old and leaky and my parents didn’t like the height/shape of it.

Yes only toilet paper is used.

Regarding the brown stuff, is the owner of the toilet sure they got a brand new one in the first place?
Yes, I asked my parents and they saw him take it out of a new box. Also my parents said he installed another toilet upstairs and it is working great.

I tried contacting the plumber with the number my parents gave me but he still hadn’t responded or called back.

Maybe contacting delta would help.

I checked and you’re right, there is a bit of slack in the chain and it is at an angle. I tried to move the flapper so it is right under but it wouldn’t budge at all. Also the chain is so hard to adjust..I’ll look up on how to do it.
You move the chain on the handle to take out the angle and you can also adjust the slack there also

Back