Need well pump information ~

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used this way to soft start pumps many times. You certainly do not want to coil up the excess wire as that creates inductance. But you can lap it back and forth on the last joint of pipe in the well.

The wire chart says a 1HP only needs #14 wire to go 250'. With a setting of 200' many people would opt for #12 wire as 200' is getting close to the limit of #14 wire. You just do not want to oversize wire like you do with pipe. It is better to use a 250' piece of #14 and lap the last 50' back and forth on the last joint of pipe in the well. Adding a few extra feet of the smallest wire possible for the HP of the pump makes a soft starter. It only limits the inrush current on start up, not running power. The voltage drop does go away once there is no more inrush current. Even so, a little lower voltage doesn't reduce the speed of the pump/motor as that is determined by the frequency like 60Hz, not the voltage.

Reactions: jkk
Oops, just didn't think it through, or better put didn't think at all. Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking increase in motor slip for the speed reduction. But if the wire size length is adequate for the service, it's adequate for the service. Excuse my lapse in thinking.

Back