Need help with shower clog

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsingh

Reaction score
Hello,
New home owner here [home is 50 year old though :) ]! We rarely use our 2nd bathroom. But the other day, 8 months after we moved in, the standing shower clogged up strongly. Before that there were no signs of clog.

I tried an organic drain cleaner mixture. Didn't help. Then I tried a drain auger.
I wasn't able to get it past 3-3.5 ft length, despite trying hard. I am not sure if I hit the thing which is causing the clog or if there is bend in the pipes which the wire can't get through (probably the latter). Auger didn't catch anything.

Any idea, what it could be that could cause such a clog deep down the drains? Would using plunger be a good idea? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Hello,
New home owner here [home is 50 year old though :) ]! We rarely use our 2nd bathroom. But the other day, 8 months after we moved in, the standing shower clogged up strongly. Before that there were no signs of clog.

I tried an organic drain cleaner mixture. Didn't help. Then I tried a drain auger.
I wasn't able to get it past 3-3.5 ft length, despite trying hard. I am not sure if I hit the thing which is causing the clog or if there is bend in the pipes which the wire can't get through (probably the latter). Auger didn't catch anything.

Any idea, what it could be that could cause such a clog deep down the drains? Would using plunger be a good idea? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Lots of boiling hot water. It has to be Boiling, from the stove. This always works for me.

I'm from new Orleans and there's an awesome product that eats old hair and build up but if it's serious I suggest you have it videod.

I'm pretty sure the plumbers here will tell you to NOT use the chemical drain "cleaners". They can eat away at your pipes and they are caustic so they can burn the plumbers and/or anyone who works on the pipes if they take them apart. If you end up calling a plumber, you need to tell him that you used a chemical cleaner.

Are you able to locate the cleanout port for the pipe to the tub drain? Cleanouts are required with change of direction in piping and are very useful if you ever need to clear a clog from the other side of the P-trap.

The actual plumbers can tell you more about that though. I'm just learning from them for DIY purposes.

Back