Need birthday present assistance...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My wife's birthday is coming up at the end of the month. Since she loves to do tile work, all she wants is a new tile saw. Can anyone recommend a good wet tile saw that has a rolling table with a stationary blade?

(Yes, I will be using it as well ;))

What type of tile work are you looking at? Small tiles or big tiles? For a great saw that does up to 18" I have the MK 100 or 101 which I think is one of the best saws around. The MK 770 is ok for tiles 6" and smaller, it will do bigger but I don't recomend it. Also any saw buy Target will be a keeper. Stay away from those little table saw looking things they suck. I would only use a wet saw that has a blade that comes from the top. I can probably answer any question about tile just ask it. I have had my MK 100 for about twelve years now and love the thing still cut as straight today as it di then, I paid about 900 back then but I see them for less than 500 all the time. Are you looking new or used? I have a buddy who may have a used one or two to get rid of.

Last edited:
Mr David, I posted this in General Discussion where it states, "For everything under the sun not related to plumbing. Movies, books, news, etc." If we can discuss moldy couches and dirty underwear, I figured this is the place.
goink.gif

Chris, I have one of those small plastic wet saws, and have layed 3 houses full of tile, along with two kitchens. It is a real embarassing piece of junk, but has worked great for years. I also have been checking out the MK brand, and have a few friends who have them as well who like them alot. Also, a clean used saw would work just as well. For purchasing new, who usually gives you the best price?

I have a Porter Cable tile saw that I found at a garage sale for $50. Figured the price was low enough that I could put some money in it if needed. Never spent a dime and have easily cut every tile I needed to cut.

I would definitly stick with an MK if you can because you can adjust them back to straight if you knock it out as alot of others are on permanent tracks. I will give my buddy a call today and see what he has. If you get a used one elswhere use vinigar to clean the silt off then spray it down with WD-40 and wipe clean, it will look like a brand new saw. The only downfall to an older saw is that sometimes the powder coat starts chipping but other than that they are so simple they dont get many problems. Heck mine has been in a head on collison at 50 in the back of my truck and still works perfect. I bought mine at Lowes but I had a buddy that worked there and gave me a decent deal. I don't even think they carry MK anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris! When I went on CL last night, I just searched wet tile saws, and saw only a few. I have already made some inquiries on some that you sent, and am waiting for a reply. Looks like I might be picking one up if I get a reply.

500 bucks is alot of money for a tool you probably wont use all that often but is definitly worth it for one of these machines and the best part is that they really don't loose any more value than that. they were going for the same price ten years ago. I use mine for all sorts of stuff, I have cut rocks in half for book ends and cut bottle down the center just for show and even cut a few geods in half but they are hard. IT will cut Glass, stone, rocks and all sorts of things but it wont cut your skin as long as it is wet.

We use ours way too often. As I have said before, my wife loves to work with tile and similar to your mountain cabin, we used tumbled marble on the backsplash and 1' square granite on the counters, as a poor man's granite. We are getting ready to finally make over the master bath, and plan on stack stone for the walls, recessed mirrors with the TV built behind the glass, and a slate floor, making it my little man cave. All this work will need precise cutting and since she wants a tile saw for her birthday, and since I am a "giver" :p, I thought I'd buy her a good quality tile saw.

Funny I am doing about the same thing to my Master bath but using 18" slate on the walls to match my living room. There aint nothing wrong with 1' Granite squares, i will be doing the same in my kitchen. I bought a bullnosing attachment for my angle grinder and that thing give the most perfect profile for polishing I have seen.

I just saw the bullnose grinders...seems like a great addition to my tool box. Since my kitchen was oak, I just built up a piece if routered 1"x2" oak strips on the edge, and butted up the granite to that. It was my rendition of a lazy man's bullnose granite.

I see that all the time but am still not sure if I like it or not? It is a great idea if you dont have the proper tools tho. Back in the day we used sandpaper and alot of it to bullnose, we would start with the roughest grit to shape and work our way down to 200 grit and then use ruge to polish it up, boy did that take forever.

So are we gonna get to see this new jeep or is it hot pink and have really big wheels?

No, she is yellow, with small 30" BFG bicycle tires. Problem is the tires are new, making me want to keep her stock until I burn up the tires. I spent the last 2 days in the garage, from sun up to bed time, wrenching on the old gal. I had to put on new brakes, drums and rotors, real main seal replacement (that was one heck of a job in itself!), new oil, new tranny fluid and filter, front and rear gear oil replacement, radiator flush, new thermostat, radiator cap, spark plugs, transfer case fluid replacement, and finished with an engine bay scrubbing, clay barring the paint, spray on undercoating, and the first wax job this jeep has seen in 6 years. It now has no leaks and runs like a striped ape!

Got the new soft top today, along with a synthetic line for the winch. Tomorrow the auto glass company is coming out to replace the front windshield because of the small chips and sandblasting. I'm broke, so I must be done working on it...for the time being! ;)

Jeep 1.jpg

jeep 2.jpg

jeep 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back