My trouble with removing sillcock.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trant

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a dyi and trying to replace a sillcock running from my kitchen cabinet to outside.

I had a plumber put in this sillcock last year after the original one was burst due to frosting. He said that he would make it the way that I could easily replace it myself. I think he put it a Woodford.
This year, I unplugged my garden hose very soon and thought that no bursting would happen. But it's currently leaking back into my kitchen cabinet. I was able to open up the connection as you can see in the picture.

I have got a new Woodford and realize that its connectors doesn't seem fit with what the plumber put in last time.
From the picture attached, could you please let me know how to remove and current one and put in the new one?

Thank you.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 30
Did you have the plumber walk you through how to replace this?

Your picture is too close up. Is you back up a little we can zoom in to get a closer look. It looks like he or a sharkbite fitting on a peice of b pex. I'm can you connect pex?

Did you have the plumber walk you through how to replace this?

Your picture is too close up. Is you back up a little we can zoom in to get a closer look. It looks like he or a sharkbite fitting on a peice of b pex. I'm can you connect pex?

Hi. Thanks. No, the plumper didn't show me how to replace and I forgot to ask him last year. I just attached another picture here. I don't think the sharkbite fitting has problem. Some where along the sillcock is leaking, I think.

---

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 26
If you engage the alligator teeth on the sharkbite fitting you can pull the whole thing out. It looks like he meant for you to replace it that way. This is a junky setup. I valve these off so they can be drained in the fall. I know they are stored to be freeze proof but they aren't.

If you engage the alligator teeth on the sharkbite fitting you can pull the whole thing out. It looks like he meant for you to replace it that way. This is a junky setup. I valve these off so they can be drained in the fall. I know they are stored to be freeze proof but they aren't.

Thanks. Please see the picture I just attached here.
So, you meant that you should detach the shartbite fitting at position (1)?
And do you know how the sillcock was connect to the fitting at position (2)? This doesn't seem to be how the Woodford look like?

Also, what would you suggest for me to correct this connection? Do you have a kind of chart?

Thank you !!

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Yeah position 2 is the reason I asked if you can connect pex. He didn't really leave you a way to replace it, he left him a way to replace it.

You need to shut your water off, if you weren't aware.

You probably bought a hose bibb with a threaded connection. This won't work with what you've got.

You may want to call the plumber back and tell him this arrangement didn't work and you'd like him to set it up differently. He might charge you for some of the work, but should have done it differently from the start.

Yeah position 2 is the reason I asked if you can connect pex. He didn't really leave you a way to replace it, he left him a way to replace it.

You need to shut your water off, if you weren't aware.

You probably bought a hose bibb with a threaded connection. This won't work with what you've got.

You may want to call the plumber back and tell him this arrangement didn't work and you'd like him to set it up differently. He might charge you for some of the work, but should have done it differently from the start.

Thank you. The silkcock I bought has threaded connection like the picture attached here.

Is there a source of transition/converter between the sharkbite and the threaded connection so that I can snap it into the sharkbite on one side and screw the silkcock in on the other side of the converter? And do think that it's a good solution?

I tried to called him but seems that he is not in business anymore or perhaps has changed his phone number.

Attachments

• woodford.jpg
    woodford.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 4
You could try a female fitting adapter. The length might be a problem. Otherwise you need a chuck of pipe that is super short like the one pictured, but shorter. It's not a good solution in my book. The whole assembly will spin. I know you can probably fasten from the outside, but my opinion you need a valve to shut and drain this when it gets cold.

You might get it to hold water and pressure.

Getting the sharkbite off is going to be tricky with how close it is to the T, but for a quick and easy fix I'd work on getting that off and replacing it with a ball valve shark bite. Still going to have trouble with converting that hose bibb to the sharkbite adapter though. Would need some/any kind of pex tool, or soldering capabilities. If you walked into a plumbing shop with a stick of 1/2" copper and that hose bibb and asked what they wanted from you to solder it together really quick, most places would probably do it for free in 5 seconds. You could then take it home and cut it to length: length of the old minus the difference in length between the old sharkbite coupling and the new sharkbite ball valve.

Back