modify drains vents of 1950 kitchen and bath

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I was going to ask about a clean out there. I've actually seen that fitting on Amazon for about $4 with prime shipping. You offer very valuable help and I appreciate it!

Last edited:
How much do you I owe yuh? I still have more questions...

For the addition --the toilet, sink and washer-- added on the 1st floor later, can I run a pipe to a wall, cap it off and pick it up later? Will it pass inspection now with these runs that are capped, as shown in the markups here.

Floor%20Plan%20Plumbing_1st%20Floor.jpg

Piping%20Diagram_Bathroom%20Addition.jpg

Piping%20Diagram_Washer%20Addition.jpg

need a total list of present fixtures ie 3 toilets, 65 lavs. 1 kitchen sink,disposal, dishwasher etc
future fixtures ?

what size is the incoming sewer?

kinda like to see how many fixtures units you have, if you have a 3'' sewer, you may need to increase the size

Currently there is one bathroom with one toilet, one lav and one tub. The kitchen, when finished, will have a sink (the usual double sink sink) and a washing machine. Later, we want to add a 1/2 bath (lav and toilet) and we will move the washing machine from the kitchen to the addition. When the addition is done, we will have a total of 2 lavs, 2 toilets, 1 tub, 1 kitchen sink (double sink sink) and 1 washer.

The original drawings show a 3" pipe under grade. I don't know the size of the incoming sewer. I would think it would be larger than 3", but let's say it is 3".

ok, your good to go on a 3'' line

a house with
2 toilets
2 lavs
2 tubs
kitchen/disp/washer
wshing machine

is maxed out at 3''

add anything beyond that. you have to increase the trunk size to 4'' to the first fixture

capping off for future is common, BUT..it MUST be a permanent cap not a test cap or clean out

rubber test caps, break down, thin test caps mice eat thru/ uv breaks down

change all 1 1/2 drain lines to 2''

change 1 1/2 ptraps to 2''

resubmit

only 1 1/2 drain you can run is a 36'' max length on a trap arm for a snk

and vents

all tubs and showers to be 2'waste and 2'' trap

all toilet vents to be 2''

I was wondering if I can still use 1 1/2" vents over the kitchen sink and washer addition and 1 1/2" traps for the kitchen sink as shown in the markup below. Washer and kitchen sink are the only fixtures on the run in question. The other run, which serves one full and one half bath, is equipped with 2" vents and traps. Do we need to run them all at 2" vents and traps?

PipingDiagram_Washer_CheckVentSize.jpg

PipingDiagram_Bathroom_Addition_CheckVent.jpg

Floor Plan Plumbing_1st Floor.jpg

Floor Plan Plumbing_2nd Floor.jpg

Last edited:
This remodel is coming along slowly but surely. I appreciate all the help I got here. I just need to check now on how many transitions to different materials are allowed under 2012 UPC here in New Mexico. See blue markup in photos below. Any help greatly appreciated.

TransitionsKitchenSink.jpg

TransitionsBathrooms.jpg

Wondering if anyone knows if 2012 UPC limits the amount of transitions to a different material with DWV plumbing? For details, see my last post with markups above this one. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Back