modify drains vents of 1950 kitchen and bath

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejg

Reaction score
I'm doing a kitchen and bath renovation.
I live in New Mexico, which follows 2012 UPC.
I attached a copy of the original mechanical plan for this house that was built around 1950.
The plan is marked up in red to show the changes I plan to make.
After painstaking research, I need to know if these changes to drains and vents will pass muster.
Any comments are greatly appreciated!

View attachment Vents and Drains_3.pdf

CornerSink_Drain.jpg

Thanks. I was just in the process of trying to do JPEGs

What about the bathroom sink? Does it also need a 2" drain?

About the funky kitchen sink drain:
1. Dishwasher needs to be indirect; can you tell me how that looks (an indirect hookup)?
2. Longer than 30"; total span of both sinks connection to trap can't be longer than 30"?
3. Double combo; that is not allowed, correct? Never?
4. No trap adapter; Ok.
5. No vent; unlike the photo there will be a vent as shown in the markup.

Is there a way to properly do that sink drain in order to allow for a Lazy Susan on the bottom?

Thanks. I was just in the process of trying to do JPEGs

What about the bathroom sink? Does it also need a 2" drain?

About the funky kitchen sink drain:
1. Dishwasher needs to be indirect; can you tell me how that looks (an indirect hookup)?
2. Longer than 30"; total span of both sinks connection to trap can't be longer than 30"?
3. Double combo; that is not allowed, correct? Never?
4. No trap adapter; Ok.
5. No vent; unlike the photo there will be a vent as shown in the markup.

Is there a way to properly do that sink drain in order to allow for a Lazy Susan on the bottom?

garbge disposal?

Thanks. Not sure about installing garbage disposal. If we decide to have one, could you show me a diagram for it as part of the drain system under the corner double sink.

Garbage disposal would be a Waste King L-8000 Legend Series, very similar to the one in photo attached. I also attached a drawing showing dimensions for the 8000. The sink we're using is deeper than usual, 10" deep.

DoubleSinkDrain.jpg

8000_dimension.jpg

OK, if I decided to go with a disposal would it be hooked up similar to the photo, except with the double wye you recommended? What was the 17" from floor to center drain height about? OK, I get it... 17" is the clearance I have without a disposal and 12.5" with disposal and not enough for a lazy susan.

The horizontal run on the kitchen sink vent in the ceiling would be roughly 7'. I did not think that would be a problem, correct? Can I run a vent horizontally level, with no slope?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice and help. It makes a big difference knowing that someone with experience is looking at this! Very much appreciated! I have some more markups for an addition that we plan to add later (Green). Will these plans with the addition of new bathroom and laundry pass 2012 UPC muster?

Vents and Drains_Addition All Markups.jpg

Floor Plan Plumbing_1st Floor.jpg

Floor Plan Plumbing_2nd Floor.jpg

Piping Diagram_Bathroom Addition.jpg

Piping Diagram_Washer Addition.jpg

change all 1 1/2 drain lines to 2''

change 1 1/2 ptraps to 2''

resubmit

only 1 1/2 drain you can run is a 36'' max length on a trap arm for a snk

and vents

all tubs and showers to be 2'waste and 2'' trap

all toilet vents to be 2''

Piping Diagram_Washer Addition.jpg

Piping Diagram_Bathroom Addition.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a detail of the vent thru the ceiling. I plan to do it this way to avoid cutting through the studs of bearing walls. I didn't want to go through the joists above the plate because I didn't think it was good being that close to the edge of the joists. Is this going to work?

Vent thru Ceiling.jpg

I get it. It's no problem putting a hole within 30" of a joist end, as long as the hole is in the center and not bigger than 1/3 of the joist depth.

What I need help with now is the fittings that connect the two vent branches to the vent pipe going up through the roof. Hopefully, the markups in blue below will give you an idea about what I'm struggling with.

Piping%20Diagram_Washer%20Addition.jpg

VentThruCeiling.jpg

Latest posts

Back