Leaking toilet - All remedies have failed at this point

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok. My toilet is leaking water from the tank. American Standard 4266. Bottom line, I have replaced the typical components; flush valve seal, fill valve, water connector hose, tank mounting bolts and gaskets, and the gasket between the tank and bowl. If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, I don't.

The toilet still leaks. Water is evacuating from tank and falling to a level BELOW the raised "cavity" where water flows from the tank into the bowl. See photo. How is the water leaving the tank? I don't know. I do know that it appears to be exiting at the base of the toilet, right at the back. See photo. If I put my finger on the bottom of the base, right at the back of the toilet, my finger is wet.

Yes, this has been going on for so long that the floor has rotted away. But my question is, how is water finding its way from the tank to the bottom of the toilet?? It is clearly fresh water leaking out. No smellies. Even if the bottom of the cavity in the tank where it mounts to the bottom of the tank was leaking, wouldn't water flow into the bowl?

My assumption is that the toilet itself is cracked. The porcelain is cracked. Is that a logical conclusion?

Attachments

• bottom of toilet.jpg
    bottom of toilet.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 21
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 22
it could be leaking through the toilet bolts , or through the flush valve space and the tank opening for the flush valve . there are gaskets there .

it could be leaking through the toilet bolts , or through the flush valve space and the tank opening for the flush valve . there are gaskets there .
Thank you so much Bill. As noted, the leak is that the very bottom back under the base. I have already replaced the gaskets on every item you mentioned. Furthermore I was able to feel around those key areas with my hands, and none of those areas are leaking.

If it is leaking at the back then you either have a hairline crack or the gasket you put on between the tank and
the bowl is incorrect. Does it leak all the time back there or only when you flush the toilet.

If it is leaking at the back then you either have a hairline crack or the gasket you put on between the tank and
the bowl is incorrect. Does it leak all the time back there or only when you flush the toilet.

Good question. The pattern is this: Flush. Tank fills all the way. Then the water level in the tank starts dropping. It will drop to the point to where the valve turns on and refills the tank.

So I am pretty sure the leak is water coming from the tank, but not strictly from just flushing the toilet. I also have a new tank > bowl gasket firmly installed and I can feel around it and not detect any leaks.

I would only add that the flow rate is highly variable. Sometimes the tank will fill and stay filled. Other times the water level will only drop an inch or so. I have been turning the water source to the tank OFF to see how far the level will fall when the leak is more pronounced. Today the level started dropping a lot.... it is actually dropping below that orifice that connects to the bowl! So this is why I am pretty sure the leak is not from the "usual suspects", and may be a crack in the toilet itself. But I don't want to rush out and buy a new toilet before confirming!

thanx

Zoom out and show us where its leaking.
I can't! The only clue I have of where the leak is coming out is by blindly feeling under the bottom of the toilet (arrow in photo). When I do so I feel moisture. But there is no water trail along the outsides of the toilet to that spot. Leads me to believe it must be leaking out of the tank and into interior the body of the toilet.

I don't understand how even this is possible though, as I don't feel wetness around the exposed part of the gasket between the tank and the bowl (I can only feel around the back part of that gasket though). Water seems to be leaving at the very bottom of the tank, passing inside the tank to bowl gasket, and entering the toilet. Yet the water is not flowing in to the bowl. It is existing the toilet somehow and getting on the floor behind the toilet.

Did you change your wax ring?
I changed the wax ring when I installed the toilet a few years ago. Have not had the toilet off since then. But given how much the floor has rotted away there certainly could have been a leak for that long.

But I have been discounting the wax ring since the water appears to be fresh. And again, the tank is leaking when not being flushed.

But your question makes me wonder if I may have a compound problem. Could the base of the apparatus inside the tank (I don't know its name. The thing the water passes through to reach the bowl when you flush), could that be leaking water from the tank, and somehow passing the water outside of the wax ring if the ring is seated properly?

If you put in the wrong flapper is could leak by intermittently creating a slow drip that may not be seen when you flush. I think since you've already sink the time and money chasing this I'd get a new toilet. Use the old one as a yard orniment.

He’s telling me he’s replaced the flushvalve but it’s obviously old. Look at the stains on it in the last pic.

The ballcock refill hose looks to be pushed down past where the water level is in the tank. That’s a fail.

Could you kindly refrain from replying to this thread any further. I recognize you as a typical forum troll of the type that knows a lot about the topic (usually because they have no life), and really only participates to show off his knowledge and needlessly castigate posters rather than actually trying to help.

I did not claim to replace the flush valve. I claimed to replace the flush valve gasket. Put your reading glasses on old man.

You claim to have replaced the typical components.

I told you to replace the flushvalve.....Your response was to LOL and ask if anyone reads your original post........

I’ll let you in on a little secret.......The entire flushvalve is a typical component.

I help people on this forum everyday......

You need to put your reading glasses on and read my post.

Replace the flushvalve........

You come here like most know it all’s......claim to know nothing but every solution you’ve already tried and you think your problem is “ special “ that no one has seen before.......yet I see them on a weekly basis.

🤣

Last edited:
Replace the ballcock, flushvalve and the tank to bowl kit.
Here is where I tell you to replace the flushvalve.

LOL. Is anyone reading my OP?

Here is where you quoted me, LOL’d and asked a dumb question in response.

Then you come back with, “ I replaced the flushvalve gasket “

Hot Pro Tip......the flushvalve is not the same as the flushvalve gasket.

Mr troll ........🤣

I popped the tank off because I am suspicious that the the lower gasket on the flush valve may be depleted. The gasket is a spongy material that appears in at least fair condition... no cracking. And the nut that retains the flush valve in the tank was tightened securely. In any case, if this was leaking would the water not flow in to the bowl?

In any case, there is some kind of plastic "liner" at the entrance to the toilet. It has a lengthwise crack in it from top to as far as I can see down. Can anyone tell me, is this by design, or this where water may be exiting the toilet?

Thank you.

Attachments

• liner.jpg
    liner.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The flushvalve that comes with those toilets are crap.

That’s why I said to replace it. I find them leaking on a regular basis. I replace them.

I replace them with a different type, one with a flapper on it. Not the blue seal.

The plastic in the tank to bowl entry is factory and is suppose to be there.

The ballcock refill hose with the blue clip must be secured above the water level in the tank on the flushvalve.

Or you can replace the entire toilet.

If you want, you could take the tank out side, set it up on something solid.

Fill with tank with water. Dry the underside off really well.

I also replace the tank to bowl bolts with the type that come with an extra nut and washer to secure the bolts independently to the tank. Mine do not rely on tension between the tank and bowl to seal.

Now watch for a leak.....this way you can find the leak and now how to correct it. Otherwise it’s a guess.....

Replace the entire toilet and stop wasting time. I installed a BRAND NEW toilet last September and it had very slight leakage. Like you I was discovering wetness under the tank with my hands only. Left for a while it would drip. Wasted time and money with new bolts, gaskets etc. When I took the tank off the base and examined it closely outside in the sun it had a hairline crack. I went back bought the same toilet at the same store swapped the tanks and sure enough no more leaking…

Back