leak on my pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your question is too vague.

Give a better description of your exact problem.

If you are not able to describe this leak problem better, then you need to call a plumber.

Jeff.... When I see what appears to be a strange question to ask, I review the OP's previous comments to get an idea of their true intent.

What are the OP’s previous comments?

Are you saying I should go hunting for his comments or questions in other threads?

Are you talking about water suppy lines or drain lines
Is the leak intermitant
is the leak constant
the mire info you provide
the easier i will be for us to help you

1. Is it possible for me to check if there is a leak on my pipes? How can I check by myself if there are leaks?

Assuming that "leaks" means anywhere in the plumbing system, including behind walls, this is not easy to do. Pool guys use a diaphragm to pressurize a line, and monitor whether the pressure drops over time. They have to shut off valves on opposing ends of the line to perform the test.

There is an outfit called American Leak Detection, but I have never called them to do an indoor leak test. These types of leaks are very pernicious, and once a line to an upstairs bathroom toilet had a pinhole leak that trickled all the way down to the first floor. I had no idea how this was happening. A licensed plumber found it and did a masterful job of measuring/building the copper tubing maze to repair the leak. These guys are worth every ounce of silver you pay them.

Have you done a 24 hr test at your water meter? (This requires not using any water in the house. That includes toilets, ice makers, irrigation, etc.)

Making a lot of assumption on the question.
#1 Always plumb in a static gauge in an acceptable location that allows you to monitor system pressure at a glance. With no fixtures active, gauge should remain steady. On well systems you'll be able to monitor kick in & shut off. You sometimes can narrow the leak location by using an automotive stethoscope on exposed pipes. Once confirmed the fun begins.

Just realized I’m making the assumption your on a well w/ a pressure tank. If your on city water you’ll require a flow meter on the incoming line as line pressure would be constant. Alternative is to rule out any leak including underground supply leak by monitoring city meter at curb with everything shut off. I’d go overnight.

Diehard, I rest my case from my post #3.

There is more than a possible leak issue, I think there is also a screw loose.

Latest posts

Back