Kohler Santa Rosa Toilet Running Intermittingly from Slow Leak in Bowl

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChip

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Kohler Santa Rosa model 3323 toilet that has a slow leak. Every few minutes the fill valve turns itself on and off without the toilet being flushed. When I look in the bowl I see a very slow drip running down the bowl from the front of the toilet. This toilet is about 12 years old. This problem happens every two years or so, but for some reason, I cannot resolve it this time. I first replaced the flapper with a genuine Kohler 2-inch Shark Fin flapper (GP1078440). When that did not work I replaced the entire flush valve kit with Kohler 87998.

When I looked at the old gasket, it was worn and thin in an area which I thought was the reason for the slow leak. I watched a video online on how to replace the gasket and the person said I should rub a small amount of olive oil on the new gasket to help it get a good seal I did that on the top and bottom, inside and outside. Could that be why the new valve is still leaking?

I don't think this is relevant, but this toilet is not connected to the water line in our house. It is connected directly to our irrigation line, which I just realized is not regulated. It also means the water is not soft and is likely coming in at a higher pressure. I know this is hard on our fill valve, which I have had to clean every year or so. It is also tough on the gasket. We have a 1/4 turn shut-off valve that I now only open part-way to help reduce the water pressure coming in. Again, I am not sure if this could be related to the fill valve. Could it be? When this problem first started, I did remove the fill valve to flush it out.

Did I mess up the gasket with the olive oil? I can only think of removing the flush valve and re-seating it. Thanks for any help solving this mystery!

Make sure that small black hose is secured ABOVE the water level in the tank and directed into the flushvalve .

If the outlet of the hose drops below the water level it will siphon water out of the tank and into the bowl and the valve will turn on to refill the tank a little then shut off. This cycle will repeat like clockwork.

Twowaxhack, thank you. You described the issue perfectly. Like clockwork it refills.

I checked the hose and it was very close to the water line - possibly right at it (there is no water in the black valve). I do not see a clip to secure it. The hose has a definite bend to it. I moved it so it is just below the top of the valve, well above the water line, and it looks like the slow drip in the bowl stopped! I will sit here in the room for a bit to see if it goes off. How can I secure the hose? I do not see a clip.

Update: I think this was the problem. I adjusted the float so the tank stops filling a bit below the water line then used an alligator clip to secure the hose. Here is a pic. What do you think? Will this work long term?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi, I just installed the Fluidmaster toilet refill you suggested. I trimmed the tube so there are no kinks in it. When I flush I notice a fairly steady stream of water going through the tube into the overflow pipe while the tank is filling. Is this normal? I have my 1/4 turn shut-off valve partially closed to reduce the water pressure coming into the toilet. The flow stops once the tank is full.

Yes, that tube conveys water to the bowl. It’s very important in most toilets.

Back