Knife #8

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRad704

Moderation
Reaction score
Sooo.... whatcha think? :D

I'll post some more pics once I get the sheath done...

1/4" 5160
8.5" OAL
4" blade
Black canvas micarta handle
3/8" Steel tube pins and lanyard hole
Full flat ground, all free-hand
320 grit satin finish

2011-04-05%2014.42.42.jpg

2011-04-05%2014.43.24.jpg

2011-04-05%2014.43.09.jpg

2011-04-05%2014.44.20.jpg

That's impressive Brad. How many hours did you end up putting into it?

Thanks guys...

According to my wife, I put about a zillion hours into it... But realistically, at least 8-10 hours. Its crazy how time flies when I am working on them. I am hoping I can speed it all up once I get really comfortable in the whole process.

My wife has poor time comprehension as well.

I'd love to stay up tonite and get the kydex sheath done and sharpen it... but I don't see it happening yet...

Nice knife Brad. It's a damn shame that they can produce a similar knife like that in China for less than $10.

^ I disagree to a point. It sorta depends on WHY you are willing to spend money on a knife. I mean, WHY on earth buy a $90k Jaguar XK to drive to work, when they make Kia Rio's that will only cost you 9k?

I've been thinking about how best to get my name on the blade. I think at this point, I am going to get some vinyl outlines made of my name, and use that as a mask to etch over. I "could" do it the super el cheapo way and put nail polish on the blade and then use a needle to write my name, but that will come out like junk, and I worked TOO hard to halfa$$ is now. :)

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't dissin' the quality. The reference was to the cost of labor only.

^ I disagree to a point. It sorta depends on WHY you are willing to spend money on a knife. I mean, WHY on earth buy a $90k Jaguar XK to drive to work, when they make Kia Rio's that will only cost you 9k?

I feel that way, but then I'm cheep.

I've been thinking about how best to get my name on the blade. I think at this point, I am going to get some vinyl outlines made of my name, and use that as a mask to etch over. I "could" do it the super el cheapo way and put nail polish on the blade and then use a needle to write my name, but that will come out like junk, and I worked TOO hard to halfa$$ is now. :)

I wouldn't go the pig with lipstick route. Don't you have a local engraver?

I don't think I explained the polish/needle method very well... Once the letters are written in the polish, you can use 9v DC to etch over that area and it will only remove material where you cut down to the steel.

I will look into prices for local engravers, but the standard method is to use a stencil and etch...

I don't think I explained the polish/needle method very well... Once the letters are written in the polish, you can use 9v DC to etch over that area and it will only remove material where you cut down to the steel.

I will look into prices for local engravers, but the standard method is to use a stencil and etch...

I am curious of this methood.

Latest posts

Back