Kinked pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azhomeowner2014

Reaction score
Recently I found that my guest bathroom, had a leaking pipe. Removed drywall and found that the plumber that installed the copper in the slab had kinked the pipes. Kink is at bend from slab to stem wall. House is 10 years old, original owners. Home owners insurance only covered damaged from leak not repair. How due I repair or splice new pipe in my slab.

The concrete needs to be removed down to the point that the pipe is completely round, then a new section soldered in. Before the concrete is replaced, the copper pipe and fittings need to be protected from the corrosive action of the concrete.

Here is an update, started about 2 hours ago. Now what do I do. Thought about using Shark bite fittings to copper. Please help.

20140426_133813.jpg

20140426_133823.jpg

20140426_133838.jpg

Sharkbite connections should never be used in areas that cannot be seen. You've done an excellent job so far. Please continue with cutting out the kink and using a copper sleeve and a bit of solder on both ends.

Another question, what should I use to back fill the hole? Same earth that came out or sand? Should I braze or cold solder with silver solder?

Code states any copper joint below concrete needs to be brazed. Brazing is not for amateurs it might be easier for you to solder. But you do not want to put shark bites in the ground as havasu mentioned

Back