Jet pump end of life or is there something else wrong

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny7

Reaction score
Hi all, I have jet pump and pressure tank. I’ve had it for about 10 years now. Normally, the system kicks in, pressurizes the system and shuts off. Over the last few weeks, I’ve heard it kick in, start to pressurized, but then it never shuts off, it keeps running. I turn the pump off, count to 5, turn it back on, and it pressurizes no issues. This only happens once every couple of days so not consistent at all.

Yesterday, I went down and documented the pressure settings and tested it. When I was down there, I noticed that when the pump kicked in, it sounded funny, like there was an air lock in the system. It pressurized each time I did my test. I took a video to show what it was doing. Side note, all settings were what they are supposed to be 50/30 and the tank is 2.4lbs below cut in pressure.

There are no leaks in the system and my water tanks are right beside the pump so there shouldn’t be any air in the system at all. In fact, if there was air in the system, we would notice it in the faucets spitting. Pictures attached.

So do I have a pump that is starting to fail? I have no problem purchasing a new pump but I’d like to know that this one is having issues.

Hardware
Canadian Tire Mastercraft 062-3590-8 pump
Pressure tank Flexcon PJR 25S

Attachments

• 20220627_172256.jpg
    20220627_172256.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220627_172305.jpg
    20220627_172305.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220627_172152 (1).mp4
    30.7 MB
Last edited:
If it is not getting to 50 to shut off, you have a leak in the suction line. If it is getting to 50 and not shutting off, the little tube going to the pressure switch is clogged.

If it is not getting to 50 to shut off, you have a leak in the suction line. If it is getting to 50 and not shutting off, the little tube going to the pressure switch is clogged.
thank you, I will take that apart and check/clean it. will keep you posted

Yeah but you didn't show the pressure when it shut off. Sound is like a suction leak.
1656455578084.png
the 2nd number is from the 2nd dial on the side. sorry, I'm not sure why the installer put that one on but I'm sure it's important.
The pressure tank shows 47.2 when the pump cuts out and is fully pressurized. I never did document a low pressure reading on the tank with the when the pump engages. I can do that if that number is important. I read that the pressure tank was supposed to be 2lbs below full pressure. It's a bit low but felt that being out by one pound probably was close enough. Slight newbie here but learning fast.

Attachments

• 1656455627420.png
    1656455627420.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 2
Yeah, I'd take apart that tubing run, from the fitting that's screwed into the pump, all the way back to the pressure switch, and make sure it's not clogged. [Because I use ozone to sterilize my water?] I have to clean out the pump fitting about every year when it gets clogged with rust. You can start with (*) removing the tubing from the fitting under the switch and see if water flows freely when the pump runs.

(*) Obviously power the pump off and release the system pressure first.

It sounds like it's getting some air in the system while it's shut down, possibly a small leak in the suction line. When you shut it of and restart it allows it to burp.

Yeah, I'd take apart that tubing run, from the fitting that's screwed into the pump, all the way back to the pressure switch, and make sure it's not clogged. [Because I use ozone to sterilize my water?] I have to clean out the pump fitting about every year when it gets clogged with rust. You can start with (*) removing the tubing from the fitting under the switch and see if water flows freely when the pump runs.

(*) Obviously power the pump off and release the system pressure first.
Good morning, yesterday, I took that hose apart and blew it out and there was nothing in it - clean. As a side note, I haul my water so I don't have the rust issues the others do pulling water from a well. Put everything back together and still have the same issue.

Last edited:
It sounds like it's getting some air in the system while it's shut down, possibly a small leak in the suction line. When you shut it of and restart it allows it to burp.
When I listen to it pressurizing, it actually does sound like air is getting into the system. I have no leaks anywhere though. It's really kind of a closed system. As you can see from the pictures, the tanks are right beside the pump. Is it possible that the pump is the problem and that air is getting into the system through the pump? I don't see how but then I don't really know the internal workings of a jet pump.

I took that hose apart
Just to be pedantic:

Did you unscrew the hose fitting from the pump housing and stick a screwdriver in it to make sure it's not clogged? If you briefly fire up the pump with the hose disconnected from the pressure switch, does water come out the hose?

If those gauges are reading different pressures when the pump is off, I'd replace them (they are cheap) and I'd put a new pressure switch on as well (also cheap).

As a side note, I'm trying to understand the point of that second gauge on the side and why it reads a different pressure. I've uploaded some more pictures to show the dials when fully pressured and where that side gauge is located. When I look at other setups, I don't see that 2nd gauge. Also, because it's showing a different reading, there must be a cavity inside the pump that the pressure is different.

Attachments

• 20220627_172256 (1).jpg
    20220627_172256 (1).jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220627_172305 (1).jpg
    20220627_172305 (1).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220629_173147.jpg
    20220629_173147.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220629_173203.jpg
    20220629_173203.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220629_173208.jpg
    20220629_173208.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220629_173337.jpg
    20220629_173337.jpg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 3
Just to be pedantic:

Did you unscrew the hose fitting from the pump housing and stick a screwdriver in it to make sure it's not clogged? If you briefly fire up the pump with the hose disconnected from the pressure switch, does water come out the hose?

If those gauges are reading different pressures when the pump is off, I'd replace them (they are cheap) and I'd put a new pressure switch on as well (also cheap).
water ran out of the screw hole that the plastic pressure tube screws into, but I didn't fire it up while it was open.

As a side note, I'm trying to understand the point of that second gauge on the side and why it reads a different pressure. I've uploaded some more pictures to show the dials when fully pressured and where that side gauge is located. When I look at other setups, I don't see that 2nd gauge. Also, because it's showing a different reading, there must be a cavity inside the pump that the pressure is different.
Well, every place inside the pump housing is going to be at a different pressure when the pump is running, but when the pump is off, they should all read exactly the same. However, one is 48 and the other is 51, so I'd call that close within the limits of accuracy of the gauge.

Where are you hauling your water from, and in what, and how does the inside of your storage tank look?\

I'd try taking the pump head apart and seeing if there's anything obvious, just had a similar situation where the pump head had ingested some leaves and was _working_ but not developing the correct pressure.

Also, there are a lot of fittings there, not all of which have pipe clamps on them. Poly pipe is cheap, and can crack when it gets old, I'd replace it all just to be sure you don't have a suction leak.

thank you, I will take that apart and check/clean it. will keep you posted
If you had a leak in the suction line you would be getting air in the system, and you say you don't.

RS is right, if you are not getting air from your fixtures (or milky water, as some air can be dissolved under pressure and come back out as tiny bubbles), then the sound you hear is probably cavitation, in which case I'd look for restrictions in the intake pipes or crud buildup inside the housing.

Latest posts

Back