Jerome's Furniture.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
So towards the beginning of the year we went out and bought a new sectional and dining room set from a popular furniture joint that prouds itself on a no bull**** sales experience blah blah blah. At the time I felt the stuff was a little high priced for the quality but bought it anyway. So since we are having Christmas dinner at our place I decided to go down and grab two more chairs that matched and thankfully they were still selling that type. I guess they don't have a very big warehouse at that store so they wanted me to either have them delivered ($69) or transferred to that store ($20) so I said no deal I am not going to pay extra to be able to pick up in the store I purchased from. Well they knocked off the 20 bucks and said to come by Tuesday and pick them up, no problem. Well I sent the other half to get them and she comes home with a box full of shipping stickers stamped made in Malaysia. First off I was told this piece was made in the USA (not a big deal it is still nice) but second they were in a box.:confused:So I emailed their customer service to see if it was policy to not build the furniture first because if it was going to be like that I could just shop at Walmart and save some cash. Here is the email I received back.

Hi Chris,

Yes, some of our furniture does come from the manufacturer unassembled in boxes. Dining table chairs, tables, beds are just a few examples. When a customer has the furniture delivered the delivery charge includes assembly. When a customer picks up the merchandise assembly is not included.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please feel free to call us at 866-633-**** with any further questions or concerns. You may also reply to this email.

Thank you,

Kristi

So I am a little upset at this point because I figure if I am paying top dollar for crap I should at least get some service or be told up front that I am not. Here is what I wrote back to her. Was I out of line at all?

Kristi,

Thank you for getting back to me but I am still not satisfied with how this was handled in store. When we were in the store buying the furniture, our salesman nor the girls at the back ever told us that we would have to assemble our furniture ourselves if we opted to pick up the furniture apposed to having it delivered. The reason we did not have it delivered was because last time when they delivered our sectional and dining room set they were using sledge hammers in my living room to try and straighten the chairs that would not sit flat. When they could not get them straight they told us that we would have to call and they would send out new ones. It took you guys 3 days to get back out to us with the two new chairs and they were brought assembled. Also it is a bit ridiculous to pay 69 dollars to have a 69 dollar chair delivered that will fit in the back seat of a car. During all my experiences with ******* I have never been told I have to build the furniture or that there is an extra charge for putting furniture together. It's bad enough that I was asked to pay 20 dollars to be able to pick up a chair at the store I purchased it from. Now on these chairs I purchased what is the return policy because we are thinking of bringing them back and purchasing elsewhere.

Thank You,

Chris

Is that my problem? Maybe I should just buy everything from yard sales. I am seeing a trend of me just hating stores.

You have the greatest Ashley Furniture just down the street from you. Why would you go anywhere else?

When we head towards Temecula, we always stop in. Good, reasonably priced furniture.

Well I just assembled the chairs myself and the hardware was so cheap that after stripping out two allen screws I replaced it with my own.

Should I call them and tell them not to come or wait till they get here to tell them?

Well I just assembled the chairs myself and the hardware was so cheap that after stripping out two allen screws I replaced it with my own.

Should I call them and tell them not to come or wait till they get here to tell them?

Call them, it's not the guys fault his company sucks.

You are in the right, what was the name of the store? It's not defamation, it's what they did.

I just called them. I also let them know that from now on if I do buy anything there again and they don't mention it will be in a box I am going to assume it is built and ready to use. They said that it is up to the sales person to let us know if it is or not so we will see.

Oh yeah and the store was Jerome's. They are big in San Diego but I don't know where else they have stores.

I've never heard of them, but I'm pretty far away from you.

I would never go back.

I agree with Austin, that kind of service would make me stay away as well as make me urge others to stay away.

The only reason I would ever go back is because I have their credit card, but I will definitely try to avoid them and tell others about my experience.

I will as well, although I am not looking for furniture in your area.

Thats it I amm gonna fiil my trashcan with conctrete so you guys can't move it.

You have the greatest Ashley Furniture just down the street from you. Why would you go anywhere else?

Let me tell you about Ashley.
We were looking for a set of end tables last year for the living room.
We found 2 we liked at Ashley. The Salesman said their furniture was made in the USA back in the midwest somewhere and that their furniture was sold exclusively by them. I looked under the table at the bottom and it had sticker that said made in Malaysia.

I found 1 of the 2 peices at Jerome's for less $. My wife wanted the 2nd piece from Ashley's because it's was the same style but had dimensions that were more suited for it's location.

I bought one at Ashley and one a Jerome's.
Like Chris there was no way I was gonna pay to have it delivered. I picked the 1st one up at the Ashley warehouse the next day. I had to assemble it at home. I remember having to repair a corner bracket because it was defective. I was not about to take this back and get another. I spent to many countless hours getting this one.

I ordered the 2nd one from Jerome's. Had to wait a week. I picked that one up at a warehouse up near Ranch Bernardo. Same area I think the Ashley warehouse was. I put that one together too. Had experince so this one was easier. I think the tables were about $130 ea

It's all crap but a table like that built by USA labor would probably cost about $500 ea.

I guess the bottom line is to pay attention to details, negotiate free delivery if possible, and search for the best possible price. Last summer I searched high and low for end tables which fit my needed dimensions, and after wasting a tank of gas and 3 hours on the Internet, I went down to Lowe's and purchased the material needed and just made my own. It was a fun project, stained to match the existing furniture, and I added slate on the tops in order to match other furniture and not worry about water stains.

I think I am going to try and build whatever I can from now on. I have just gotten lazy and decided to buy stuff instead plus it is hard to find specialty wood around here.

Latest posts

Back