Installing laundry sink help a novice plz!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

call311

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im installing a laundry sink in the utility room in the basement. To connect cold water supply I turned off the house main water supply(there are two ball valves: one before the meter and the one after) and ran the copper line sweating the joints to the sink location. Now for the hot water supply - I really am stumped. I have an oil boiler utica with tankless coil the hot water line comes out of the boiler and runs directly to the bathroom faucet branching on the way for kitchen faucet and washing machine each has a valve to shut off the supply. However, there is no valve to shut off the hot water for the hot water output line as a whole. I dont want to branch off of the bathroom/kitchen/washingmachine line - I'd much rather branch off of the main line. How do i do that? Do i just shut off the cold water supply to the house/turn off the boiler and open the hot/cold water faucet at the lowest altitude in the house and wait until the hot water drains? When i turn the main supply on is there anything special I need to do to prevent any damage to the boiler? Do I need to worry about expansion tank? Would I also have to purge the air in the radiators when the heat is turned back on?
Sorry for all the silly/novice questions and I appreciate any feedback you can provide.
thank you!!
J

If you don't drain the boiler there is no need to vent the system. There should also be a valve that is on the cold side of the tank-less coil. That will turn off all the hot water. If by some chance there is no valve on the coil then turning off your cold water main will work for you.

John

Back