Increase water pressure in my shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanduwanted

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to thank the creators of this forum before I start posting anything on here. That being said, I wanted to know if someone can throw some light on how to increase the water pressure in my shower. I replaced the shower head with a 5-speed shower head, that didn't help. The other faucets in the house are having a good water pressure though! Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Unthread the shower head and take out the flow restrictor, if it doesn't have one then pull out the screen inside. This will let bits of debris get into the shower head but you will definitely increase the velocity coming out of the shower head. If you spent a lot of money on the shower head don't pull out the screen.

Thank you for your reply I spent little less than $25 on it. Got it from Menards. Also wanted to add that the water flow at the tub level was also slow. I will try to remove the flow restrictor on the head and let you know. Thank you.

It maybe a cartridge or stem then. If you've noticed a change in velocity at the tub spout and the shower head when it was better before then it most likely is in the tub/shower valve.

The easiest way I know to communicate to you over the internet on how to fix this would be for you shut the water off to your house, pull the shower valve apart and take the guts to a plumbing supplier.

It would be kind of tough to diagnose this kind of situation without more information or actually looking at the home. How old is it? Has the water pressure always been low on the tub and the shower or did it just recently happen?

If it recently happened, check the aerators in the shower head and the tub spout (Roman Deck style) if there is one for any kind of debris. Replace them if they look like they are plugged or just take the screen or flow controls out.

Another option is to shut the water off to the house, remove the cartridges from the shower and tub valves (or handles if roman deck style) and turn the water on to blow the lines out. Someone will need to be present at the tub and cover the handles or valve with a bucket. Some water will need to be cleaned up! :)

Latest posts

Back