Ikea drop-in sink with integrated gasket

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebforce

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am dropping a SS sink into an Ikea Formica/particle counter. The sink has a firm rubber gasket that was poured at the factory around the perimeter of the sink flange. Ikea instructs to install with silicone, by applying silicone on a vertical/cut surface of the counter cutout. It seems that it will get really messy, so my question is do I really need silicone of there is a gasket there already. The sink comes with screw-clips that pull the sink to the counter top on the bottom by hooking up into special metal brackets at the bottom of the sink.

Thanks, Igor

I always side with the manufacturer's recommendations. The rubber gaskets seem to eventually dry out and crack, which could lead to water intrusion.

With all of the issues I have with getting kitchen sinks to pull down uniformly to countertops, I would never want to trust a rubber gasket to seal them. Silicone is "the best" way to seal this joint, but a good tub and tile caulk will do reasonable job and can be cleaned up with a moist sponge.

Good luck with that sink, I know a few years ago guys were having troubles with them sinks, as stated above follow what the manufactured suggests doing, you will be covered if something goes wrong in theory.

Latest posts

Back